Post Control of Xtend Flex Soybean Volunteers In Corn
Post Control of Xtend Flex Soybean Volunteers In Corn, Field Day, June 2021
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:02.107](melodious music)
- [00:00:06.410]Hi, my name is Will Neels.
- [00:00:08.670]I'm a masters student at the University of Nebraska Lincoln
- [00:00:11.430]in Weed Science.
- [00:00:13.180]Today, we will be looking at a project
- [00:00:15.450]for the post emergence herbicide control
- [00:00:17.850]of volunteer soybean and corn.
- [00:00:20.260]Today we'll be looking at highlights of common corn
- [00:00:24.170]post emergence programs as their efficacy in controlling
- [00:00:27.910]volunteer soybean.
- [00:00:29.880]Volunteer soybeans as a weed is not usually a common concern
- [00:00:34.570]for corn growers here in Nebraska.
- [00:00:37.440]In addition, these soybeans are known as XtendFlex,
- [00:00:41.270]meaning they have resistance to three herbicides.
- [00:00:44.460]Glyphosate, glufosinate and dicamba,
- [00:00:47.640]meaning those will not be effective options
- [00:00:49.750]for controlling them as volunteer weeds.
- [00:00:52.960]While volunteer soybeans are not a common concern
- [00:00:56.010]for corn producers, certain weather events such as hail
- [00:01:00.520]or high wind speeds can cause lodging,
- [00:01:03.820]meaning combines cannot pick them up during harvest.
- [00:01:07.680]Then those volunteer soybeans will grow
- [00:01:09.540]during the next season and could become a weed.
- [00:01:12.370]In this plot, we see a 1X rate of Acuron
- [00:01:15.410]at two-and-a-half quarts per acre.
- [00:01:17.700]This was applied when corn was about 11 inches tall.
- [00:01:21.220]Acuron contains four herbicide active ingredients,
- [00:01:24.850]including three modes of action.
- [00:01:26.940]This includes atrazine, S-metolachlor, mesotrione
- [00:01:32.310]and bicyclopyrone.
- [00:01:33.890]This provided effective control of soybeans.
- [00:01:37.680]In this plot, we see a 32 fluid ounce application
- [00:01:41.910]of DiFlexx DUO, which has dicamba and topramezone.
- [00:01:47.460]This plot did not show total control
- [00:01:50.440]but did show some signs of injury, including bleaching.
- [00:01:56.100]The last plot I want to highlight
- [00:01:58.130]is a two-and-a-half quart application of Resicore.
- [00:02:01.440]This contains three herbicide active ingredients,
- [00:02:04.340]acetochlor, mesotrione and clopyralid.
- [00:02:08.210]It did provide effective control of soybeans.
- [00:02:12.360]The takeaway message from these plots is that
- [00:02:14.770]there are several great post emergence herbicide programs
- [00:02:18.070]for controlling volunteer soybeans,
- [00:02:20.150]such as herbicide programs containing atrazine,
- [00:02:23.030]atrazine by itself, Acuron or other programs
- [00:02:26.620]such as Resicore.
- [00:02:29.230]If XtendFlex volunteer soybeans are an issue
- [00:02:31.960]in a grower's field, they should not use glyphosate,
- [00:02:35.370]glufosinate or dicamba, as XtendFlex soybeans
- [00:02:39.350]are resistant to these three herbicides.
Log in to post comments