Dijon DeLaPorte Staff Profile
Staff Profile of Dijon DeLaPorte
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:03.650]My name is Dr. Dijon DeLaPorte.
- [00:00:05.397]I'm the Recruitment and Outreach Specialist
- [00:00:07.496]for Educational Administration.
- [00:00:10.580]I've been employed with the
- [00:00:11.553]department since October, 2020.
- [00:00:14.870]Before that, I worked at the
- [00:00:16.216]Center for Great Plains Studies on campus
- [00:00:18.620]for about two years.
- [00:00:20.240]As a recruitment and outreach specialist.
- [00:00:22.460]My role is to help
- [00:00:24.800]recruit students to the P12 and higher
- [00:00:27.307]education programs that we have
- [00:00:29.218]in our department.
- [00:00:30.301]And then once they get here,
- [00:00:31.433]help support them.
- [00:00:32.240]So I do a lot of promotion and celebrate
- [00:00:35.130]a lot of the successes of our current
- [00:00:37.040]students, our future students,
- [00:00:39.232]our alumni, and our faculty and staff.
- [00:00:41.431]My experience in this role and working in
- [00:00:43.939]higher education for over a decade now,
- [00:00:46.610]has led me to believe that a real
- [00:00:48.841]key to success for students is time management.
- [00:00:52.672]Through my own journey
- [00:00:54.132]as a master student,
- [00:00:56.000]I learned to balance
- [00:00:57.000]personal life,
- [00:00:58.000]family life,
- [00:00:59.097]and work and school.
- [00:01:01.340]And then when I moved into
- [00:01:02.359]becoming a doctoral student,
- [00:01:04.130]it was even more important to have
- [00:01:05.506]that, strike that balance because
- [00:01:07.970]I was preparing to, both my wife and
- [00:01:10.731]I finished a doctoral degree and
- [00:01:12.756]we had twins.
- [00:01:14.330]My wife was seven months pregnant
- [00:01:16.208]with twins when we walked across that
- [00:01:17.630]graduation stage.
- [00:01:18.609]So the key to success for any of these
- [00:01:22.430]programs in our department is learning
- [00:01:24.183]to strike the right balance among all
- [00:01:25.950]those priorities in your life.
- [00:01:27.530]One thing that I really enjoy about the
- [00:01:29.190]department is just the collaborative
- [00:01:32.090]I enjoy working with both the P12 side faculty
- [00:01:35.381]and the faculty on the higher education side
- [00:01:37.940]as well as various other staff
- [00:01:39.490]members in the department.
- [00:01:40.970]We've got a great mix
- [00:01:42.147]of experience and
- [00:01:45.380]different personalities that just make
- [00:01:46.891]it a very fun environment to work in.
Log in to post comments