State Museum Day
During a visit to Morrill Hall, Governor Pete Ricketts proclaims June 14, 2021 as State Museum Day in the State of Nebraska.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.000](upbeat music)
- [00:00:01.620]This is a home for Nebraska.
- [00:00:04.880]It is a display of this great place and the history
- [00:00:07.960]of this great place.
- [00:00:09.187]130,000 people a year visit this museum
- [00:00:14.700]or the two affiliates at Fort Rob or at Ashfall annually.
- [00:00:19.010]And we're here today because on this date,
- [00:00:21.220]150 years ago, the State Museum System was founded.
- [00:00:25.150]Today is the day the Board of Regents
- [00:00:29.240]signed the charter to establish the museum.
- [00:00:32.360]So, Flag Day is our official birthday.
- [00:00:35.770](audience laughs)
- [00:00:36.760]And the State Museum System does an important job
- [00:00:40.230]of collecting the specimens
- [00:00:42.410]from all around our state that shows the great biodiversity
- [00:00:45.840]we had here on the Great Plains.
- [00:00:48.050]So this really is serving an important role here
- [00:00:50.860]in the state of Nebraska
- [00:00:52.310]to be able to document our history
- [00:00:55.550]and then to be able to share that with the public.
- [00:00:57.700]So with that, I am going to go ahead
- [00:01:00.220]and sign the proclamation,
- [00:01:04.880]proclaiming us, making us officially
- [00:01:07.520]date Museum Day here in the state of Nebraska.
- [00:01:10.063](audience clapping)
- [00:01:11.490]It's a rite of passage in Nebraska,
- [00:01:14.430]as a school child to come to see Archie
- [00:01:17.370]and to understand some of that history.
- [00:01:20.830]This idea of you're exposing children early,
- [00:01:23.660]helping them to think about all the different opportunities
- [00:01:26.250]in science and technology and engineering
- [00:01:28.220]and mathematics and STEM.
- [00:01:30.200]This is important for our state's talent pipeline.
- [00:01:32.930]It's important in terms of the impact that we have
- [00:01:38.150]in terms of economic growth for the state.
- [00:01:40.400]We are aware that Nebraska's a very large state,
- [00:01:45.340]and we need to meet Nebraskans where they live.
- [00:01:49.410]And so we will continue
- [00:01:51.450]to push on with innovative virtual programming.
- [00:01:54.900]If you haven't had a chance to visit Morrill Hall here,
- [00:01:57.470]please come and do.
- [00:01:58.600]It is a great thing to be able to do with your kids.
- [00:02:01.780]There's a lot of great things they can learn,
- [00:02:03.420]a lot of great history,
- [00:02:04.880]and it's an important way to be able
- [00:02:06.310]to pass on what we've been so blessed with here in Nebraska
- [00:02:09.020]to the next generation.
- [00:02:10.280]And that's one of the important functions, of course,
- [00:02:12.700]of our state museums.
- [00:02:13.600](audience clapping)
- [00:02:14.907](mellow music)
Log in to post comments