2020-20 Artist in Residence Kirsten Furlong: Week 1
Week 1 of our 2020-21 Elizabeth Rubendall Artist in Residence Kirsten Furlong working at the Great Plains Art Museum.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.870]The 2020 and 2021 Elizabeth Rubendall Artist
- [00:00:04.490]in Residence is Kirsten Furlong,
- [00:00:06.640]who is halfway through spending two weeks
- [00:00:08.530]at the Great Plains Art Museum,
- [00:00:10.170]creating a piece of artwork
- [00:00:11.410]for the museum's permanent collection.
- [00:00:14.220]I landed on the idea
- [00:00:16.356]of creating an image of a bobolink
- [00:00:18.410]because I think it's just one of the most interesting
- [00:00:20.934]of the Great Plains birds for several reasons,
- [00:00:24.960]one, because it's a long-distance migrant,
- [00:00:28.120]I think, has the longest migrations
- [00:00:31.460]of the Great Plains songbirds because it migrates
- [00:00:35.010]from this area all the way to South America,
- [00:00:38.553]using magnetic fields
- [00:00:41.650]as a way of navigating,
- [00:00:43.930]but also using the stars as a map.
- [00:00:46.950]So I'm using the image of the bobolink,
- [00:00:49.690]but also the image of the night sky.
- [00:00:52.220]Visitors are encouraged to visit Kirsten
- [00:00:53.858]while she's working during normal museum hours,
- [00:00:56.760]Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to four p.m.
Log in to post comments