189H: Looking at Video Art
Hear from Professor Robert Derr about this new 189H seminar!
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:07.440]Video artist Bill Viola says,
- [00:00:10.277]"There's another world out there
- [00:00:12.020]just beyond the world we're in.
- [00:00:14.390]It's just on the other side
- [00:00:15.650]of that translucent semi-transparent surface.
- [00:00:19.010]Join me on the journey beyond in looking at video art.
- [00:00:25.450]This course surveys the history of video art
- [00:00:28.460]from its inception in the 1960s to today through lectures,
- [00:00:34.180]partial and full length video screenings, discussions,
- [00:00:38.010]group projects, and visual and written activities.
- [00:00:42.330]Emphasis is on the development of video art as a genre
- [00:00:46.190]and its practitioners from Fluxus, conceptual, structural,
- [00:00:51.380]feminist, post-modern, deconstruction, multicultural,
- [00:00:56.040]globalization, post-colonial, identity politics
- [00:00:59.610]to environmental viewpoints.
- [00:01:02.330]Discussions uncover social, political
- [00:01:05.440]and artistic intentions and frameworks.
- [00:01:08.650]Any digital moving image camera is suitable
- [00:01:11.520]for this class from cell phones to HD recorders.
Log in to post comments