Welcome: 2021 Great Plains conference
Center Director Margaret Jacobs gives the opening welcome for "Climate Change & Culture in the Great Plains" on April 1, 2021.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.693](upbeat music)
- [00:00:03.510]Thank you to Colette Yellow Robe
- [00:00:05.100]for offering that acknowledgement
- [00:00:07.640]and welcome to the Center for Great Plains Studies'
- [00:00:09.920]46th annual symposium,
- [00:00:12.240]Climate Change and Culture in the Great Plains.
- [00:00:15.450]I'm Margaret Jacobs, the center's director.
- [00:00:18.960]More than 30 years ago in 1990,
- [00:00:21.680]the center hosted a conference called
- [00:00:23.610]Climate Change on the Great Plains
- [00:00:25.760]looking back from the 21st century.
- [00:00:28.740]It included sessions on agriculture, weather,
- [00:00:31.380]art, literature, policy, and geography.
- [00:00:35.110]This was 16 years before an inconvenient truth
- [00:00:38.710]increased public knowledge
- [00:00:39.820]about the topic of global warming.
- [00:00:43.250]Now we are returning to the topic
- [00:00:45.720]not to hold a conference on the updated science
- [00:00:48.660]which could easily fit a week long conference
- [00:00:51.600]but to examine what has happened
- [00:00:53.150]with public perception in our region.
- [00:00:56.510]We decided to look at how our culture
- [00:00:59.060]meaning the beliefs, values, social practices,
- [00:01:01.540]language and attitudes by which we organize daily life
- [00:01:06.090]affect our understanding of climate change
- [00:01:08.820]and limit or advance our possibilities for addressing it.
- [00:01:13.490]We hope the topics will give us some better understanding
- [00:01:16.630]of why there's such a cultural divide on the problem
- [00:01:20.120]and how we might address it.
- [00:01:23.700]We'd like to thank our sponsors the Cooper Foundation,
- [00:01:27.550]the University of Nebraska at Kearney, Humanities Nebraska,
- [00:01:31.750]and these University of Nebraska-Lincoln entities;
- [00:01:35.460]the College of Arts and Sciences,
- [00:01:37.600]Office of the Chancellor,
- [00:01:39.260]Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- [00:01:42.600]and The Faculty Senate Convocations Committee.
- [00:01:46.750]I'd also like to thank
- [00:01:48.030]the center's associate director, Katie Nieland
- [00:01:50.840]who's been planning the symposium for about two years
- [00:01:54.160]and Beligh Ben Taleb our graduate assistant
- [00:01:57.810]Katie and Beligh are doing all the behind the scenes work
- [00:02:01.230]to make this conference a reality
- [00:02:03.470]or a virtual reality at least.
- [00:02:06.610]Now a moment for logistics.
Log in to post comments