Environmental Futures Platform: Speculations Across Art + Science
This presentation talks about the potential future applications of integrating arts and sciences to create creative solutions to further human and nonhuman interactions.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:02.100]I'm Victoria Nelson and I'm presenting
over story worlds in speculate
- [00:00:07.470]design lab. And this is through
the college of emerging media.
- [00:00:14.840]A little bit about me. I'm a junior
mechanical engineering student.
- [00:00:19.040]I've experienced with
programming and robotics,
- [00:00:22.010]and I'm interested in design and film
and how those interact with engineering
- [00:00:26.480]and technology.
- [00:00:31.640]My advising professor is Ash Smith.
- [00:00:34.880]She's the assistant assistant
professor for emerging media arts.
- [00:00:40.010]a few of the things she does is she's a
researcher and artist and a storyteller,
- [00:00:44.630]and she used to previously work at the
university of California at San Diego.
- [00:00:51.680]So a little bit about this lab.
- [00:00:53.870]This lab will imagine
and build future worlds.
- [00:00:57.470]That can be an incubator for
creativity and innovative research.
- [00:01:02.450]This will be accomplished by using
interdis interdisciplinary strategies
- [00:01:07.580]that explore how storytelling
fiction play futuring
- [00:01:12.230]world-building and social
re-imaging can shape reality.
- [00:01:16.190]There is a focus on real ecosystems
and emergent ecologies as sites of
- [00:01:20.690]investigation and innovation.
- [00:01:27.140]Some of the research questions we will
be looking at to this lab are how can
- [00:01:31.790]emerging technologies and storytellings
shape new kinds of reality?
- [00:01:37.640]How can the rural and urban divide
be broken down and to be configured?
- [00:01:42.740]What are the preferable
futures for Nebraska in 2050?
- [00:01:46.820]How can data and coding be used
as another form of storytelling?
- [00:01:51.470]How can machine learning and robotics
enhance live performance in CLA in
- [00:01:56.000]collaboration with a human and
how can we prototype speculative
- [00:02:00.650]designs like an experimental
robotics windmill to be,
- [00:02:04.580]get more blue sky thinking
and solve wicked problems?
- [00:02:09.980]So the specific lab project that I'm
working on is the environmental futures
- [00:02:14.450]platform, speculations
across art and science.
- [00:02:18.290]The goal of this program is to integrate
art and science knowledge to create
- [00:02:22.760]immersive art projects,
- [00:02:23.990]to further creative learning
this platform we're focused
- [00:02:28.790]on and foster innovation, creativity,
- [00:02:32.060]and imagination that utilizes both
human and non-human collaboration
- [00:02:36.920]for reasonable agency
surrounding water, food,
- [00:02:40.610]earth networks, infrastructure,
and the built environment. Um,
- [00:02:45.410]some of the technologies and
stuff that you can think of, um,
- [00:02:49.310]are like augmented reality,
drones and robots used for crops.
- [00:02:58.640]Some of the research I have.
- [00:03:00.130]Focused on is putting together a
database of current and potential
- [00:03:05.050]consulting experts for the design lab.
- [00:03:09.040]I've also created transcripts of
interviews with consulting experts over
- [00:03:13.270]possible technical technological
advances for integrating technology,
- [00:03:17.710]human animals and or plants.
- [00:03:21.160]And then I've also experimented with the
unity programming and augmented reality
- [00:03:25.840]software to have to gain a
fundamental understanding for
- [00:03:30.400]potential lab solutions. Along with this,
- [00:03:33.190]I've helped dupe research into, um,
- [00:03:37.210]creative design and idea generating for
- [00:03:41.980]multiple different world buildings.
- [00:03:47.160]And then, uh,
- [00:03:48.690]since this is the first
year of the story worlds and
- [00:03:53.190]speculative design lab, um,
- [00:03:56.040]and it's still in
development and creation,
- [00:03:58.530]there are a lot more
projects interactions. The
lab plans to explore. Um,
- [00:04:03.450]there will be further continuation
with interviewing experts on advancing
- [00:04:07.470]technology and researching
future applications for
interactive technology with
- [00:04:17.940]Thank you for listening
to my presentation.
Log in to post comments