My Experience with the George Eliot Archive Project
Description of my work for the George Eliot Archive Project including the development of our new website, George Eliot Scholars
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:01.230]Hello everyone.
- [00:00:02.340]My name is Lindsay Roberts and I am a
current research assistant on the George
- [00:00:06.390]Elliot archive project.
Over this spring semester,
- [00:00:09.780]I worked on two main projects, processing
contributions for our new website,
- [00:00:13.950]George Elliot scholars, and researching
George Elliot's health and depression.
- [00:00:17.880]Through these projects,
- [00:00:18.750]I was able to build upon the
resources provided on our website.
- [00:00:21.960]And add to the information we have
on the writer, George Elliott
- [00:00:29.810]To begin, I would like to discuss my
work with the George Elliot scholars.
- [00:00:35.330]I've been privileged to work on the
George Elliot scholars website for a large
- [00:00:38.600]part of this semester.
- [00:00:40.100]The George Elliot scholar site launched
at the very end of 2020 with the goal of
- [00:00:44.570]making scholarship about George
Elliott, more accessible worldwide.
- [00:00:48.140]It is a free resource containing nearly
300 contributions that discuss a wide
- [00:00:52.760]array of topics relating to
George Elliott and her work.
- [00:00:56.360]This site is an invaluable
tool for individuals seeking
to learn more on Elliott
- [00:01:00.680]In this way, it will be and has already
been an inspiring force for future
- [00:01:04.550]Elliot scholars. Additionally,
- [00:01:06.350]George Elliott scholars has already
helped us create a wonderful community of
- [00:01:09.980]current scholars on the author.
- [00:01:11.960]And all I believe our work is encouraging
past present and future scholars to
- [00:01:16.310]communicate and learn from another,
which is an amazing thing to watch.
- [00:01:19.970]My role on the George Eliot scholar site
is to interact with our contributors
- [00:01:23.540]and manage their contributions
for our website and doing so.
- [00:01:26.870]I have added to our resources and helped
make our contributions recognizable as
- [00:01:31.100]our own
- [00:01:34.670]Many other contributions we currently
have on the site were obtained by
- [00:01:37.580]personally, reaching out to
scholars who had written on Elliott.
- [00:01:40.970]Part of my job is to come
through these email exchanges,
- [00:01:44.030]looking for permissions referrals and
changes involving contact information
- [00:01:49.100]from this communication. I've revised
a large contact list of scholars,
- [00:01:53.000]which gives us a better understanding on
the scholars within our own community.
- [00:01:58.400]I've been able to communicate with these
scholars providing answers to their
- [00:02:01.640]questions as well as messages
of our gratitude for their help.
- [00:02:05.570]This communication is one of my favorite
aspects of my work this semester.
- [00:02:09.350]It has been a truly kind
and engaging process.
- [00:02:15.680]The biggest aspect of my work with
the George Elliot scholars has been
- [00:02:19.190]processing the contributions we have
on our website. When I say processing,
- [00:02:23.210]I mean adding our own Georgia
light scholars, cover page,
- [00:02:26.330]changing the pagination and editing
the work so that they all look similar.
- [00:02:29.750]Stylistically food is process.
- [00:02:32.210]I seek to ensure that our users will be
able to clearly see that they're viewing
- [00:02:36.530]a resource of the George Elliot
scholars website. Additionally,
- [00:02:40.280]I sorted each of our contributions
into a spreadsheet during this process.
- [00:02:44.060]It is very important to me
that our website's information
is cleanly ordered so
- [00:02:48.020]that users can navigate the site
as easily as possible with so many
- [00:02:52.610]I have found that the spreadsheet
is the best way to stay organized.
- [00:02:58.670]The cover currently used.
- [00:03:00.040]On the scholars website were designed
by me earlier in the semester.
- [00:03:03.730]I kept the design relatively simple so
that scholars could easily find it source
- [00:03:07.510]information on each particular
- [00:03:10.720]I did add touches of green as well
as the silhouette of George Elliott.
- [00:03:14.710]The green is to emphasize the colors
of the George Elliot scholars website,
- [00:03:19.360]which distinguishes it from
our other amazing websites.
- [00:03:22.450]George Elliot archive and George Elliot
review online by having these cover
- [00:03:26.560]pages on our site, we've connected
each contribution with a similar look.
- [00:03:30.580]As I stated earlier at the stylistic
choices have helped us create a
- [00:03:33.850]recognizable look, which is
clean and understandable.
- [00:03:39.990]Today I am still communicating with
scholars and processing their work for our
- [00:03:44.520]One of the great aspects of this job
is that in somewhat never ending,
- [00:03:49.320]there are so many articles,
- [00:03:52.350]and much more discussing George
Elliot and her work out there.
- [00:03:55.620]My job is almost like a treasure hunt
looking for this information for the
- [00:03:59.190]remainder of this semester. I am
planning on hunting for these treasures,
- [00:04:02.190]that we can have even more resources and
connections on our website and all my
- [00:04:06.510]work on George Elliot scholars has been
a great lesson on collaboration and
- [00:04:09.750]communication through these processes.
Our website's continued to grow
- [00:04:16.290]I'd like to talk about my work with the
George Elliott's health and depression
- [00:04:20.250]research. Along with my
work for our website.
- [00:04:24.240]I am also researching George
Elliot's health and depression.
- [00:04:27.150]George Elliott experienced several
reoccurring physical complaints,
- [00:04:30.330]including gastrointestinal
disturbances, intense headaches,
- [00:04:33.990]sleeplessness nervousness,
respiratory infections, neurology,
- [00:04:38.010]and heart palpitations.
- [00:04:39.660]The point of my research is to better
understand how these physical ailments
- [00:04:43.080]affected Elliott and possible root causes
for these issues as Elliott and her
- [00:04:47.160]doctors were never able to
determine a clear diagnosis.
- [00:04:50.940]There are several theories as to why
Elliot experienced these illnesses such as
- [00:04:54.730]eyestrain, anger, due to
depression, feelings of rejection,
- [00:04:58.320]a disease called acromegaly, depression,
manifested physically and much more.
- [00:05:03.120]The George Elliot archive project is
especially interested in how Elliot's
- [00:05:06.510]depression may be linked to
these elements for my research.
- [00:05:09.600]I am reading sources related to Elliot's
mind, body and beliefs. Additionally,
- [00:05:13.710]I am researching through all nine volumes
of George Elliot's letters in order to
- [00:05:18.000]analyze the ways in which she spoke
about her illnesses and depression,
- [00:05:21.900]as well as the ways
other spoke about Elliot.
- [00:05:24.720]This research has been incredibly
interesting so far. Moreover,
- [00:05:27.840]I believe that it will be useful for
scholars to better understand Elliot's
- [00:05:30.840]experience as a human being in doing so.
- [00:05:33.540]We may better empathize with the writer
and explain certain elements within her
- [00:05:37.950]work. Overall,
- [00:05:42.270]I have really enjoyed my work with the
Georgia late archive project over this
- [00:05:45.420]past semester, every day,
- [00:05:47.100]I'm learning something new about George
Elliot and the ways in which he's
- [00:05:49.890]affected the world.
- [00:05:50.940]And it was really exciting to witness
how her life and work for able to inspire
- [00:05:54.510]so many people to create
their own responses.
- [00:05:56.880]I truly honored that I have taken part
in a project that provides a community
- [00:06:01.130]for these people and encourages even
more scholarship I'm equally as pleased
- [00:06:05.330]that I have been able to continue my own
research while fostering this community
- [00:06:08.750]on the George Elliot scholars.
Log in to post comments