NSE: Explore Center Advising
This video will provide tips to help you prepare for your academic advising meeting.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:01.050]Hey, I'm Elisa from the Explore
- [00:00:04.860]the academic advising home for Undecided,
Pre-Health, Pre-Law students and any
- [00:00:09.630]student working to meet requirements
for other colleges or majors,
- [00:00:13.380]such as Pre-Engineering. We've
got 10 academic advisors,
- [00:00:17.400]and you're going to be meeting with
one of them soon to talk about the
- [00:00:19.830]transition to UNL and
- [00:00:23.720]We have five tips to help you
prepare for that advising meeting.
- [00:00:28.610]Tip number one, come prepared with
your NUID number and your password.
- [00:00:32.930]This is what you've been
using to log into MyRed.
- [00:00:35.210]This is also what you'll be using in your
meeting with your advisor to enroll in
- [00:00:39.380]courses. Tip number two:
- [00:00:42.650]Think about majors that
you might be interested in.
- [00:00:45.530]You can browse our admissions
website for a full list of options.
- [00:00:48.650]And that way you can ask your advisor
more questions about various majors.
- [00:00:53.720]Tip number three, let your advisor
know in your meeting
- [00:00:56.840]if you've got any AP, dual enrollment, or
- [00:00:59.750]IB credit from high school classes
that you might have college credit for.
- [00:01:04.160]We'll be able to chat with you a little
bit more about what that applies towards and
- [00:01:07.550]how that's going to help you
during your time at UNL. Now
- [00:01:11.930]tip number four, during our meeting,
- [00:01:14.150]we're probably going to mention
or talk about ACE courses.
- [00:01:17.960]ACE, or Achievement Centered
Education, is UNL's general education
- [00:01:23.120]So when you've heard people talk about
'gen eds' that they need to take in college,
- [00:01:27.350]ACE is we call those at UNL.
Regardless of your major,
- [00:01:31.460]all students at UNL are probably going
to take one class in 10 ACE categories
- [00:01:36.170]in areas such as English, math,
humanities, and several others.
- [00:01:41.210]So begin thinking about what types
of ACE classes interest you.
- [00:01:44.900]There are ACE course options that
you can find on the academic advising
- [00:01:48.200]inventory located in MyRed.
- [00:01:50.210]And that's one thing you're going to
need to complete before you have your
- [00:01:52.910]advising meeting anyways.
- [00:01:54.410]So might as well take advantage to
see what you would be interested.
- [00:01:58.880]Tip number five, if you've
got questions, bring any
- [00:02:02.180]and all of them to your advising meeting.
- [00:02:04.730]We as advisors are here to
support in any way we can
- [00:02:07.490]as you make the transition to
UNL, and if we don't know the answer,
- [00:02:10.790]we know someone who does, so make sure
that you ask the questions that you need to.
- [00:02:16.850]We are so excited to meet with you and
learn more about your academic goals.
- [00:02:20.990]Hope you have a good rest of your
day, and we will see you soon.
Log in to post comments