Adaptive Research: Transforming In Person Data Collection Into A Virtual Experience
Walk though of changing an in person research project to virtual data collection during COVID-19
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.330]Hello, my name is Claire Kubicek. I
will be going over adaptive research,
- [00:00:04.380]transforming in-person data collection
into a virtual experience just over a
- [00:00:08.850]year ago.
- [00:00:09.480]The learning lab for intellectual and
developmental disabilities was preparing
- [00:00:13.440]to start a research project,
- [00:00:15.030]reading and writing profiles of students
with intellectual and developmental
- [00:00:19.650]with aims to build detailed literacy
profiles of strengths and weaknesses in
- [00:00:23.700]reading and writing abilities and students
with intellectual and developmental
- [00:00:26.970]disabilities in document relationships
between literacy sub skills and the
- [00:00:31.440]moderating impact of cognitive abilities,
- [00:00:34.740]intellectual and developmental
disabilities can impact an individual's
- [00:00:39.180]intellectual functioning,
- [00:00:40.350]which is more commonly known
as intelligence as well as
their adaptive behavior,
- [00:00:45.000]which has to do with conceptual
social and practical skills.
- [00:00:49.020]Intellectual and developmental
disorders are typically diagnosed
- [00:00:53.760]before the age of 22.
- [00:00:56.100]The original plan was to collect the
data with our participants in person,
- [00:01:00.090]but when the COVID-19 pandemic
began, that plan was put on hold.
- [00:01:04.110]We then worked to restructure
how we could collect our data.
- [00:01:08.070]Throughout the past year,
- [00:01:09.090]we have found alternative ways to
proceed with this study. Moving forward,
- [00:01:13.410]the data will be collected virtually
through a program called Q global via zoom
- [00:01:17.340]video conferencing.
- [00:01:19.440]The study will consist of 50
participants within the Nebraska,
- [00:01:23.070]Iowa and Kansas school systems who are
between the ages of 13 and 21 years old
- [00:01:29.400]and have been diagnosed with IDD or
having score lower than 75 on the leiter
- [00:01:34.860]It just required that participants
primarily speak English and communicate
- [00:01:39.900]The participants originally would have
completed an array of standardized tasks
- [00:01:44.460]involving reading, writing and cognition.
- [00:01:47.280]The assessment process would be carried
out within the participant schools in a
- [00:01:51.420]different quiet setting that they are
comfortable in or on the UNL campus.
- [00:01:56.070]In total, the assessments would have
taken about two hours to complete.
- [00:02:00.360]The original assessments were set to
include subtests of the Woodcock reading
- [00:02:04.500]mastery test,
- [00:02:05.820]that Peabody picture vocabulary
test the test of written language,
- [00:02:11.130]the Wechsler individual achievement
test and the leiter international
- [00:02:15.960]performance scale.
- [00:02:18.270]We then had to revise our methods
rather than meeting in person with our
- [00:02:23.700]We will now be using a program known
as Q-Global through Pearson
- [00:02:28.140]Q global will allow us to move forward
and continue to make progress within the
- [00:02:32.130]reading and writing profiles of students
with intellectual and developmental
- [00:02:35.790]disabilities project.
- [00:02:37.560]The use of Q global meant having
to revise the assessment battery as
- [00:02:41.700]well. The assessments will still be
majoring reading, writing, and cognition,
- [00:02:47.310]but the revised assessment battery will
include the Woodcock reading mastery
- [00:02:52.260]that Peabody picture vocabulary
test the Kaufman test of educational
- [00:02:57.060]achievement and the Wechsler
abbreviated scale of intelligence
- [00:03:02.170]with the lighter three being
a non-verbal IQ screener,
- [00:03:05.230]it was crucial to find an alternative
virtual cognition assessment.
- [00:03:08.890]It would have been extremely challenging
to administer nonverbal IQ screener via
- [00:03:14.080]The Wasi two was able to provide
the necessary substitutions in order to
- [00:03:18.760]virtually collect our data.
Looking at the figure,
- [00:03:23.410]we can see the original assessment
series and the revised assessment series.
- [00:03:28.060]Our reading measures were
able to remain the same,
- [00:03:30.280]but the writing and cognitive
measures needed to be adjusted
when transitioning to
- [00:03:34.120]virtual data collection,
- [00:03:36.040]the original writing measures
were substituted with the
KTA because if we were to
- [00:03:40.330]use the original measures,
- [00:03:42.790]we would have had to mail the writing
subtests to the participants and not been
- [00:03:46.330]able to physically be with them as they
completed the assessment that could
- [00:03:50.260]potentially have led to
- [00:03:53.170]as well as confusion for the participants.
- [00:03:56.020]The cognitive measure was
switched due to the leiter three,
- [00:03:59.260]being a non-verbal assessment,
- [00:04:01.210]which had been very difficult would have
been very difficult to administer via
- [00:04:06.910]The population that our research lab
is working with to conduct this project
- [00:04:10.870]tends to have an increased risk
for health-related matters.
- [00:04:14.890]Another common possible factor necessary
to consider is that the individuals
- [00:04:19.090]with IDD,
- [00:04:20.170]may be living at home with their parents
who might be at an increased health risk
- [00:04:23.620]due to their age in order to keep
our participants, their families,
- [00:04:27.940]and our staff safe during the
COVID-19 pandemic, transitioning,
- [00:04:31.810]transitioning to virtual data collection
was the best option in regard to moving
- [00:04:36.070]forward with this project
while keeping everyone safe.
- [00:04:40.480]Transitioning this project into
virtual data collection began with an
- [00:04:44.230]exploration to find a platform
that met the project's needs.
- [00:04:48.740]A couple of major needs included.
Having the assessments available online,
- [00:04:52.750]as well as being able to
use zoom video conferencing,
- [00:04:55.810]to administer the assessments.
- [00:04:58.120]This process consisted of
numerous phone calls and internet searches
- [00:05:02.590]to find the best fit that this hunt
for just the right testing system
- [00:05:07.570]ended with the discovery of Q
global, upon finding Q global.
- [00:05:11.410]There was a lot of communication taking
place between myself and our regions
- [00:05:15.760]Pearson representative,
- [00:05:16.930]to ensure that this platform aligned
with the project requirements,
- [00:05:21.220]you global is an online testing
platform through Pearson assessments.
- [00:05:25.120]With this testing system,
- [00:05:26.200]we will virtually administer the revised
assessment series to the participants
- [00:05:30.130]just as we would have done through the
original assessment series in person with
- [00:05:34.870]the purchase of assessments an account
has made to access the materials online
- [00:05:39.520]during our data collection process,
- [00:05:41.260]the individual administering
the assessment will share
their screen with the
- [00:05:44.380]participant through zoom when necessary,
- [00:05:46.480]the participant will use the annotation
feature on zoom to communicate and
- [00:05:50.350]ensure that the individual administering
the assessment understands their
- [00:05:54.310]response correctly.
- [00:05:56.470]Then the assessment administrator
reader will record the participants
- [00:06:01.190]responses in the record form.
- [00:06:02.750]Although doing virtual data collection
may not have been how we plan to execute
- [00:06:06.860]this project.
- [00:06:07.910]Q global will allow us the opportunity
to safely continue our data collection.
- [00:06:12.770]Some limitations, moving this to a
virtual data collection may include, um,
- [00:06:17.630]more difficulty building trust
and rapport with our participants,
- [00:06:20.690]as well as causing some
confusion for participants.
- [00:06:22.970]Potentially some advantages
though will be, um,
- [00:06:27.410]allowing us to continue on with this
project and keeping everyone safe while
- [00:06:31.970]doing so thank you so much.
Log in to post comments