Stretching Your Strengths in CEHS - Well-Being Coaches with Dr. Paul Springer and Special Guest Emma Farson
Stretching Your Strengths in CEHS with Dr. Paul Springer and Special Guest Emma Farson, Well-Being Coach. Discussion about UNL Well-Being Coaches.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:06.380]Welcome to another episode of stretching
your strengths and CEHS. I'm Dr.
- [00:00:10.220]Paul Springer,
- [00:00:11.000]the Associate Dean for Student Success
in the College of Education and Human
- [00:00:14.480]Sciences. Today, we're going
to be meeting with Emma Farson,
- [00:00:18.410]who is one of the well-being
coaches on the UNL campus.
- [00:00:22.700]Now some of you may not know
what a well-being coaches, but is.
- [00:00:25.910]It is an amazing resource
for students. And so, Emma,
- [00:00:29.750]thanks for joining us today.
- [00:00:32.220]Thank you for having me.
- [00:00:33.920]why don't we get started.
What is a well-being coach?
- [00:00:37.700]Yes. Well-being
- [00:00:38.720]coaches are student volunteers
who help other students on campus thrive
- [00:00:43.700]and create the life that they want
to live both now and in the future.
- [00:00:47.630]And we promote the nine dimensions of
wellbeing to provide a framework for
- [00:00:51.200]exploration and balance, emphasizing
gratitude, social connection,
- [00:00:54.980]stress management, emotional awareness,
strength building, growth mindsets,
- [00:00:59.030]and transitions.
- [00:01:00.410]So it sounds like this is a resource for
students when they may be struggling,
- [00:01:04.370]maybe homesick or maybe struggling
with time management or any,
- [00:01:09.230]any type of issues.
- [00:01:10.520]So how can students access
help from a well-being coach?
- [00:01:14.660]Yeah, there's a couple
of ways to access health.
- [00:01:17.000]The first is to log into MyPLAN and
you can schedule an appointment there.
- [00:01:21.140]The second is to get onto the UNL Big
Red Resilience and Well-Being website.
- [00:01:25.070]And there's a link on the website.
- [00:01:26.510]That'll take you to MyPLAN and also
give you a synopsis of all of the coaches
- [00:01:30.560]who are offering services to find the
best fit for you. And the third way,
- [00:01:34.370]which is new this year is on canvas.
- [00:01:36.710]There's a button at the bottom
left-hand corner that says wellbeing,
- [00:01:40.310]and it'll also link you to that
website with the option to schedule.
- [00:01:44.720]Wow. So there's a lot of different ways
that students can reach out. So
- [00:01:49.610]how have you seen working with
students regardless of the issues?
- [00:01:54.590]How have you seen it help them?
- [00:01:56.990]Yeah, I've seen it help them from
start to finish just with academics,
- [00:02:01.610]doing better in classes, and
feeling less homesick
- [00:02:06.950]especially with out-of-state
students or even international students,
- [00:02:11.660]but I've also seen it help with physical
and even emotional wellbeing and even
- [00:02:15.800]with roommate struggles.
- [00:02:17.570]Oh, excellent. So how frequently
can people meet with you?
- [00:02:21.440]They can meet with us as
frequently as they want.
- [00:02:23.750]I often have students who
meet with me twice a month,
- [00:02:27.050]but I have had students who've only
met with me once and I've had students
- [00:02:30.620]who've met with me every week.
- [00:02:32.630]Oh, excellent. So it's kind of catered
to what the student needs then?
- [00:02:36.440]Yes. It's more of a case by case basis.
- [00:02:38.960]Excellent. So I guess
where are you located?
- [00:02:43.280]And how are you typically
- [00:02:47.060]Yeah, so we are located in the
University's Health Center and
- [00:02:52.670]with the spring semester and Corona virus,
- [00:02:54.830]we're currently doing
remote services on zoom,
- [00:02:57.440]but in the future we're
hoping to do more in-person services.
- [00:02:59.980]Okay, excellent.
- [00:03:02.530]So it sounds like this is an excellent
resource for students throughout the UNL
- [00:03:06.640]campus, and I really hope that our
students in CEHS will utilize it.
- [00:03:11.910]Really appreciate your time. Thank you
for having me. Yeah. Thank you so much.
- [00:03:16.170]We really appreciate it.
Log in to post comments