Why global studies?
Faculty and alumni talk about the field of global studies and why it is important.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.200]Global studies is an interdisciplinary field.
- [00:00:03.260]It brings together sort of your traditional disciplines
- [00:00:07.090]of anthropology, economics, political science,
- [00:00:11.367]environmental studies, and puts them into a conversation
- [00:00:15.410]with each other about the larger global issues.
- [00:00:19.360]I think a student should major
- [00:00:20.750]in global stays because it's so interdisciplinary,
- [00:00:23.010]they can choose their tracks,
- [00:00:24.400]They can go through a really good
- [00:00:26.360]and rigorous program that professionalizes them.
- [00:00:28.930]I liked global studies
- [00:00:29.940]because it offered me the opportunity
- [00:00:31.460]to take classes in political science
- [00:00:33.320]and human rights and anthropology, psychology, history.
- [00:00:38.270]And it allowed me to explore all these different areas
- [00:00:40.390]of interests I never would have been able to otherwise.
- [00:00:44.040]And as well to study world issues
- [00:00:45.640]from different critical lens.
- [00:00:47.540]Anybody who's interested in national security,
- [00:00:50.610]if you wanna be a diplomat or work
- [00:00:52.960]in the foreign service service.
- [00:00:54.210]All of us here in Nebraska are uniquely empowered
- [00:00:57.435]to be global citizens,
- [00:01:00.140]to exercise our global citizenship.
- [00:01:02.470]And then we also equip ourselves to use those tools
- [00:01:05.750]to make the world better for other people.
- [00:01:08.060]And as a field, we seek to come together to try to be part
- [00:01:12.964]of the solution to these larger scale global problems.
Log in to post comments