Why study geography?
Faculty and alumni talk about the study of geography and why it is important.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.200]So geography means literally
- [00:00:02.290]earth writing, earth description.
- [00:00:04.140]It's really the study of place and space.
- [00:00:07.230]So why does place matter?
- [00:00:08.830]How does space matter?
- [00:00:09.690]How do people move?
- [00:00:10.610]How does the environment move?
- [00:00:12.260]How do people see maps in different ways?
- [00:00:15.280]The thing that geography has about it,
- [00:00:17.470]much like history, is it's a toolbox.
- [00:00:19.240]whereas geography would be the science of where,
- [00:00:21.390]much like history is the science of when.
- [00:00:22.980]So you can apply that to almost any topic.
- [00:00:24.800]So my work looks at how humans adapt
- [00:00:27.550]to changes in the environment,
- [00:00:28.890]particularly how they adapt to changes in water quality.
- [00:00:32.440]I study a wide variety of things,
- [00:00:34.990]including cultural and historical geography
- [00:00:37.280]of the Great Plains, experiential learning,
- [00:00:40.260]and human trafficking.
- [00:00:41.711]So I look at urban segregation,
- [00:00:44.530]specifically residential segregation.
- [00:00:46.200]A lot of times our students are curious, adventurous,
- [00:00:48.833]and travel aficionados,
- [00:00:51.120]and they want to make positive, informed decisions.
- [00:00:54.270]It gives you a broad base of knowledge
- [00:00:58.370]and a broad base of experience.
- [00:01:00.570]Well, what geography really teaches you to do is
- [00:01:02.570]think critically about how humans interact with each other,
- [00:01:06.550]those key environmental processes
- [00:01:08.250]that we know are important,
- [00:01:09.260]but really, the interface between those.
- [00:01:10.810]Employers are looking to hire people
- [00:01:12.180]with critical thinking skills.
- [00:01:14.290]I hire people occasionally at my job
- [00:01:16.700]and if I ever see a geography manager, I'll know,
- [00:01:19.472]okay, they've got a very broad view of everything.
- [00:01:22.720]So if you're interested in everything from environment
- [00:01:24.460]to people, to history, geography might have a place for you.
Log in to post comments