Top 5 Reasons to Use Tests in Print
Buros Center for Testing Graduate Assistant, Raul Palacios, explains his favorite reasons for using the Tests in Print resource. His explanation is useful for other graduate students.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:04.860]Hi, everybody. This is Raul from
the Buros Center for Testing
- [00:00:07.530]and I'm here to talk to
you about the top five ways
- [00:00:09.510]Tests in Print can help you during your
graduate training. As graduate students,
- [00:00:13.800]do you ever find yourself having to
look up information regarding testing for
- [00:00:17.430]research projects or
classroom assignments? Well,
- [00:00:20.550]that's exactly what these videos are
being made for. They are here to help maximize
- [00:00:24.090]your productivity by teaching you how
to use all the resources that we have at
- [00:00:27.510]the Buros Center.
- [00:00:28.980]But first, let me give you a quick rundown
and overview about Tests in Print,
- [00:00:32.520]also known as TIP back at the Buros Center.
Tests in Print serves as a
- [00:00:36.810]comprehensive bibliography to commercially
available tests that are published in
- [00:00:40.560]the English language.
- [00:00:42.120]The first Tests in Print was published in
1961 by our founder, Oscar K. Buros,
- [00:00:46.290]and is currently in its ninth edition.
- [00:00:48.870]Tests in Print provides specific
information about testing required by
- [00:00:52.080]professionals in diverse
areas, such as psychology,
- [00:00:55.470]counseling, research, and child
development, just to name a few.
- [00:01:01.230]The first way Tests in Print can help
you is by quickly providing you with vital
- [00:01:04.740]information about a test-with over 2,400
tests described in TIP IX. Typical test
- [00:01:09.840]information that you can expect to find
in Tests in Print include test purpose,
- [00:01:13.830]intended test population, administration
times, scores generated by each test,
- [00:01:19.590]pricing information about the tests, test
publisher information, in-print status,
- [00:01:24.600]whether or not a test is currently
in print or not in print, test acronyms,
tests by classified subject and publisher directory,
- [00:01:29.430]tests by author, test review, or name, and also by test
- [00:01:34.470]The second way Tests in Print can help
you is the awesome test indexes.
- [00:01:38.610]For instance, in TIP nine, you
can locate measures by test title,
- [00:01:42.420]test acronyms,
tests by classified subject,
and publisher directory,
- [00:01:48.300]tests by author, test review, or name,
and also by test score index. Simply
- [00:01:52.590]put, if you can't find
it, you aren't trying.
- [00:01:54.750]We're doing all of the hard work for you.
- [00:01:58.260]The third reason you should be using
Tests in Print is due to its easy online
- [00:02:03.000]If you watched my first video about how
the Mental Measurements Yearbook can
- [00:02:05.730]help you during your graduate training,
- [00:02:07.380]you might already know that your
university may already subscribed to the
- [00:02:10.590]Buros resources through Ovid or
EBSCO. If this is the case for you,
- [00:02:15.360]then great!
- [00:02:16.200]You should be happy to know that you have
tons of resources at the simple click
- [00:02:19.860]of a button. Now, if this
isn't the case for you,
- [00:02:22.830]you can contact the librarian at
your university and let them know that
- [00:02:26.280]you want your TIP with
MMY. From there,
- [00:02:28.980]they can go and speak to their Ovid or
EBSCO provider to see about subscriptions
- [00:02:33.390]and pricing information.
- [00:02:36.510]My fourth reason you should be using
Tests in Pring is because TIP is the
- [00:02:39.660]perfect partner for the Mental
- [00:02:41.760]just like Luella Buros
was for Oscar Buros.
- [00:02:44.610]If a test is described in TIP, it has
been reviewed in the MMY series.
- [00:02:47.850]Then those reviews have
been cross-referenced in TIP.
- [00:02:50.610]This naturally makes it the starting
point for anyone needing to lookup
- [00:02:53.490]information about tests
information about tests that
- [00:02:57.600]were included in the MMY.
- [00:02:59.170]We'll also put information and test
descriptions about measures that have not
- [00:03:02.470]been reviewed in the MMY series.
- [00:03:05.710]My fifth and last reason to use
Test in Print is because it's like a
- [00:03:08.320]snapshot in time. Unlike the Mental
Measurements Yearbook series,
- [00:03:12.520]each TIP replaces the old TIP.
- [00:03:14.440]What this means for you is that test
descriptions included in TIP have been
- [00:03:17.500]updated and reviewed by Buros staff.
- [00:03:19.330]The number providing you with the most
up to date information about the tests.
- [00:03:23.170]These tests descriptions are independently
gathered and objectively put together
- [00:03:26.680]by a professional staff member and
not by test publishers.
- [00:03:31.090]And there you have it,
- [00:03:32.080]those are my top five reasons
you should be using Test in
- [00:03:34.510]Print to support you during your
graduate training. Just to recap,
- [00:03:38.020]let's review the
top five reasons.
- [00:03:40.210]My first reason is because Tests in Print
provides you with vital information about
- [00:03:45.340]The second reason is because of it's
awesome test indexes. My third reason,
- [00:03:49.300]and one of my favorites, is
due to its easy online access.
- [00:03:52.900]My fourth reason is that TIP is a perfect
partner for the Mental Measurements
- [00:03:56.370]Yearbook. And my fifth
- [00:03:58.510]and the last reason was that TIP is like
a snapshot in time, providing you with the
- [00:04:01.690]most up to date information about tests.
- [00:04:04.600]Did you find any of the reasons that I
provided really helpful or do you have
- [00:04:08.080]better ones? If so,
- [00:04:09.670]be sure that you let us know
about your top reasons that you would
- [00:04:12.430]use TIP. Once you've
finished watching this video,
- [00:04:16.720]I highly encourage you to go to
your university library provider
- [00:04:19.810]to see if you have access to the Tests
in Print or Mental Measurements Yearbook
- [00:04:23.440]online. If so, then
fantastic. But if you don't,
- [00:04:27.490]do not hesitate to contact your librarian
- [00:04:29.140]to let them know that you want your
MMY and TIP. From there,
- [00:04:32.380]they can contact their Ovid or EBSCO
provider about pricing points and
- [00:04:36.130]subscription options. I hope
you found this video helpful.
- [00:04:40.870]Thank you for watching. And again,
- [00:04:42.430]don't hesitate to contact us with any
questions or comments that you might have.
- [00:04:46.750]You can find all our
information at buros.org.
- [00:04:50.050]Thanks for watching and
we'll see you next time. Bye.
Log in to post comments