Become A Great Teacher with UNL
Department of Teaching, Learning, and Teacher Education (TLTE) | College of Education and Human Sciences (CEHS) | University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL)
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:04.730]Hi, my name is Guy Trainin and I'm a
professor in the Department of Teaching,
- [00:00:08.840]Learning, and Teacher Education,
- [00:00:10.880]where our goal is to prepare
teachers for tomorrow's communities.
- [00:00:15.140]We welcome students from all backgrounds
and we'll help each and every one of
- [00:00:19.160]you succeed in becoming a
teacher. In the department,
- [00:00:22.700]we focus on helping you become a teacher
by telling you all about the diversity
- [00:00:27.080]of the students
- [00:00:27.710]you'll teach and ways to enhance equity
so that you can serve every student that
- [00:00:33.440]walks into your classroom.
- [00:00:35.270]We use innovative experiences to make
sure that you are ready for 21st century
- [00:00:40.130]technologies and ideas.
- [00:00:42.170]You will have varied field experiences
throughout the span of your program.
- [00:00:46.280]You will work with individual students,
small groups, and whole classrooms.
- [00:00:51.440]Finally, we have caring
- [00:00:54.920]some of which you will hear from now.
- [00:00:58.160]Hi, I am Hector Palala. This is our Maker Space.
- [00:01:01.820]One of the opportunities you will have
in this department is to explore new
- [00:01:05.690]technologies, such as
virtual reality. Also,
- [00:01:10.550]you will explore 3-D printer.
- [00:01:12.590]We have a laser cutter where you can create
- [00:01:17.600]things like this,
- [00:01:19.640]and you can take all your ideas out of
this lab and use them in your educational
- [00:01:27.050]Hi, I'm Jenny Leeper Miller,
- [00:01:28.550]Director of the Ruth Staples
Child Development Lab School.
- [00:01:32.480]We are a program that facilitates
nature-based education for children.
- [00:01:37.520]And as Early Childhood
Education pre-service teachers,
- [00:01:41.420]you get to come to the lab school and
learn right along with the children, families,
- [00:01:46.460]and faculty members. As
teachers, you get to play,
- [00:01:50.210]you get to teach with the pedagogy of
nature-based education, and you get to get
- [00:01:55.640]dirty and have fun. So come along
and learn with us.
- [00:01:59.190]Hi everybody. I'm Dr.
Samantha Cooper. Welcome.
- [00:02:02.720]This is the UNL Reading Center. Here,
- [00:02:05.720]you are going to learn how to work
with a struggling reader and struggling
- [00:02:10.070]writer. You're going to learn
how to work effectively.
- [00:02:13.580]One-on-one with a struggling
reader or writer. So in this class,
- [00:02:17.990]you're going to learn
the strategies, tools,
- [00:02:20.810]and assessments to be able to work
successfully with students. This is going
- [00:02:25.160]to set you up for success
later on as a teacher,
- [00:02:28.730]when you go into your own classroom.
- [00:02:30.900]Hi, I'm Deepika Menon and I teach Elementary
Science Methods course here at UNL.
- [00:02:36.710]I design activities to bridge
disciplinary boundaries and target cross-cutting
- [00:02:42.410]concepts that run across disciplines.
- [00:02:46.130]So I welcome you all to come and learn
science and experience STEM integration,
- [00:02:53.000]practice it and meet your STEM
teacher identities. Welcome.
- [00:02:58.250]Hi, my name's Jim Benes, the Global
- [00:03:00.220]Exchange Coordinator in the College
of Education and Human Sciences.
- [00:03:03.640]I also work in the Education
Abroad office. When you applied to,
- [00:03:07.000]to get a degree in education at
the University of Nebraska in Lincoln,
- [00:03:10.480]and the Department of Teaching,
Learning, and Teacher Education,
- [00:03:13.390]you can expect to have global issues
integrated into your education.
- [00:03:18.220]We do this by offering the
International Studies minor,
- [00:03:21.340]which is comprised of several courses
that have global concepts built into their
- [00:03:25.300]curricula. And then also tying
on an international experience,
- [00:03:28.720]such as a Study Abroad program.
- [00:03:30.880]We offer many study abroad programs
in this department to amazing places.
- [00:03:34.750]When you go to these places,
- [00:03:36.010]we help you by giving you incentives
such as financial scholarships.
- [00:03:40.900]We also offer our preparedness seminar
that I teach every semester called Ready,
- [00:03:44.560]Set, Go.
- [00:03:45.460]If you're looking to have global
concepts integrated into your educational
- [00:03:48.670]experience, please email
me and consider applying.
- [00:03:52.130]Hello, future teachers. I am Darwin Archie, one half
of the Career Coaching team here at CEHS,
- [00:03:56.940]along with Molly Rappl.
- [00:03:58.980]We're both college grads from this
very college, just as you will be in the
- [00:04:01.770]future. Being a college grad,
- [00:04:04.290]we know how important it is to develop
into professionals and getting a career
- [00:04:08.370]state of mind.
- [00:04:09.660]So we are here to bring that career
state of mind to this college.
- [00:04:12.750]With the career state of mind,
- [00:04:14.040]we have a five-step program to help
build the best professionals possible.
- [00:04:18.060]We know everybody has a
different starting point
- [00:04:20.190]and so we would like to meet you where
your at. So please come see us soon.
- [00:04:24.060]Hi, I'm Dr. Amanda Morales,
- [00:04:26.160]and I'm an associate professor in the
Department of Teaching, Learning, and
- [00:04:29.820]Teacher Education. Students who enroll in
the Department of Teaching, Learning, and
- [00:04:35.220]Teacher Ed have numerous opportunities
to have powerful experiences learning who
- [00:04:41.370]they are, connecting with classmates who
have similar passions, opportunity to
- [00:04:47.220]explore the power that they hold to make
a difference in the communities that
- [00:04:51.120]they hope to serve.
- [00:04:52.710]They also have access to
cutting edge research,
- [00:04:57.270]to engage with faculty and research,
- [00:04:59.520]and they're able to explore really
important issues of social justice and equity
- [00:05:04.680]and how those issues play out in
their daily lives in this profession.
- [00:05:09.660]Many opportunities. And we welcome
students to come and explore with us.
Log in to post comments