Interest in hunting has declined nationally and in Nebraska. A UNL professor studied the reasons for the decline.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:01.320]A crisp fall morning
- [00:00:02.810]is the perfect backdrop for hunters,
- [00:00:05.030]but fewer of them are heading outdoors.
- [00:00:07.700]Interest in hunting is on the decline and with it,
- [00:00:10.590]the revenue from licenses and taxes on equipment.
- [00:00:14.310]We're losing that funding that can go
- [00:00:16.430]to protect endangered species and game species,
- [00:00:19.610]all of that kinda stuff.
- [00:00:20.520]So it is a very big concern to fish and wildlife agencies.
- [00:00:25.470]A variety of factors contribute
- [00:00:27.490]to the decline in hunting.
- [00:00:29.210]Fewer young people are participating
- [00:00:31.760]and the older generation is aging out.
- [00:00:34.730]The baby boomers are getting to that age
- [00:00:36.950]where they really can't go tromping around fields as much,
- [00:00:39.630]so we're starting to see this decline.
- [00:00:42.260]Another factor driving the decline
- [00:00:44.240]is the perception that access to hunting areas is limited,
- [00:00:48.100]especially in places where there's a lot of private land.
- [00:00:51.410]We've looked at a whole slew of things,
- [00:00:52.960]everything from access issues
- [00:00:55.480]to not knowing the rules and regulations
- [00:00:58.660]to the social aspects of it.
- [00:01:01.610]It's all of those together to combine.
- [00:01:03.737]"I wanna go hunting this weekend,
- [00:01:04.987]"but I don't really know where.
- [00:01:06.967]"I don't know who I should go with.
- [00:01:08.777]"I don't have anyone to go with."
- [00:01:09.870]So all of those things combine
- [00:01:11.470]to help prevent people from hunting.
- [00:01:13.680]To reverse the trend, states are concentrating
- [00:01:16.340]on what are known as R3 strategies:
- [00:01:19.100]recruit, retain, and reactivate.
- [00:01:22.090]So recruit is bringing in new hunters and anglers,
- [00:01:24.680]retain is keeping those that are here,
- [00:01:27.060]and then reactivating is those that drop out
- [00:01:30.230]trying to get them to come back
- [00:01:31.438]and then continue buying license
- [00:01:32.760]and participating in all of that kind, those activities.
- [00:01:36.160]In addition to protecting revenue,
- [00:01:38.100]bringing hunters back will also protect
- [00:01:40.540]an important part of American culture.
Log in to post comments