Harvest at Oak Creek Vineyard, Raymond, Nebraska
Machine harvesting of grapes at Oak Creek Vineyard near Raymond, Nebraska, September 2020.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.541](upbeat acoustic guitar music)
- [00:00:43.980]You can see that the machine cleans the berries
- [00:00:47.070]off of the clusters quite well.
- [00:00:48.980]It leaves a berry here and there,
- [00:00:50.520]but it really does an awesome job
- [00:00:54.340]in terms of getting the full crop,
- [00:00:58.260]essentially with very little left on the vines,
- [00:01:02.460]and as you saw, when you filmed the machine working,
- [00:01:06.750]you saw the debris, such as broken leaves,
- [00:01:11.160]were just thrown out, just like you'd throw chaff out
- [00:01:15.280]on a grain harvester.
- [00:01:18.170]And this is really a great labor saving system.
- [00:01:25.600]The cost of labor is way high,
- [00:01:29.420]and it's hard to find labor for hand harvest.
- [00:01:34.440]So the machine harvest works so well,
- [00:01:37.350]they can immediately take the grapes
- [00:01:42.430]from the bins to the winery,
- [00:01:44.560]the winery can crush them and have them made
- [00:01:47.910]into the start of the wine making process
- [00:01:51.920]within hours rather than days.
- [00:01:55.040]So there's a huge savings in labor in not just cost,
- [00:02:00.770]but also finding people who are willing to hand harvest.
- [00:02:05.840]This is a big factor, but the initial cleaning off
- [00:02:12.380]of the clusters, the berries off the clusters
- [00:02:14.830]by the shaking mechanism that you filmed
- [00:02:17.980]really looks very efficient.
- [00:02:21.020]When I worked in Australia,
- [00:02:22.350]I was shocked that they were getting 95, 97% of the berries
- [00:02:29.130]with the machine they were using,
- [00:02:30.870]and I think this machine works just as well.
- [00:02:33.885](upbeat acoustic guitar music)
- [00:02:45.290]So this gives you an idea of a before and after cluster,
- [00:02:49.490]after the machine goes over the cluster.
- [00:02:53.550]This hand shows you the small clusters,
- [00:02:58.120]so the Frontenac grapes, a very nice looking cluster,
- [00:03:02.730]and this would have been an even better looking cluster
- [00:03:06.300]probably before the machine got harvesting it,
- [00:03:09.760]but you can see that it cleaned off all the berries.
- [00:03:12.780]I just removed these clusters from the vines.
- [00:03:16.700]This is a before and after machine harvest.
- [00:03:20.920]Very, very efficient.
- [00:03:23.350]There are adjustments that the person on the ground makes
- [00:03:26.720]to tell the driver to make adjustments,
- [00:03:31.290]and that includes the speed of the shaker
- [00:03:34.820]and the speed of the tractor itself,
- [00:03:37.600]and also other adjustments that enable the operator
- [00:03:43.460]to be very efficient in harvesting these grapes.
- [00:03:48.216](upbeat acoustic guitar music)
Log in to post comments