UHON 395H: Sitcoms & Social Change
Learn about this fun new class from Dr. Tamy Burnett.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:05.820]In this class, Sitcoms and Social Change,
- [00:00:08.680]we will explore the entertaining television genre
- [00:00:11.190]of situation comedies.
- [00:00:13.060]Although sitcoms are often dismissed
- [00:00:14.980]as mindless entertainment, this genre of television
- [00:00:17.900]is regularly at the forefront of social change in the U.S.,
- [00:00:21.380]especially in relation to issues
- [00:00:23.020]of human diversity and equality.
- [00:00:25.650]Using theories of comedy and humor
- [00:00:27.730]to understand the power of this funny art form,
- [00:00:30.600]we will explore a range of shows
- [00:00:32.410]from the mid-20th century to present.
- [00:00:35.050]Our study will focus on sitcoms
- [00:00:36.880]that push the boundaries of their time
- [00:00:38.460]on a range of topics, including gender and sexuality,
- [00:00:42.330]non-nuclear family structures,
- [00:00:44.220]and racial and ethnic minority identities.
- [00:00:46.720]We will also look at socioeconomic disparities,
- [00:00:49.720]ageism, and issues of health and disability.
- [00:00:52.570]During our time together,
- [00:00:53.710]we'll laugh a lot and learn a lot.
- [00:00:55.820]I hope you'll join us.
Log in to post comments