Table Grapes – University of Nebraska–Lincoln East Campus High Tunnel
Professor and Viticulturist Paul Read from the University of Nebraska–Lincoln talks about Table Grapes in the high tunnel on the University of Nebraska–Lincoln East Campus.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.690]We've decided to do an experiment on,
- [00:00:04.477]examining the potential
- [00:00:06.520]of growing table grapes, in High Tunnel.
- [00:00:09.740]The idea being that they would protect them from,
- [00:00:13.169]the ravages of environmental factors like Ale,
- [00:00:17.264]and Vertebrate pests such as birds of course,
- [00:00:22.118]and also it would protect them
- [00:00:25.490]through the wintertime perhaps,
- [00:00:27.120]and maybe extend the growing season
- [00:00:29.741]so they harden up better in the fall.
- [00:00:32.710]Many aspects have been explored,
- [00:00:36.613]and we're curious about how this might work
- [00:00:40.170]with Vinifera grapes also.
- [00:00:42.360]We'll explore that more further next year but this year,
- [00:00:47.840]we're in our fourth growing season for looking at,
- [00:00:53.110]several cultivars or varieties of table grapes,
- [00:00:57.190]and we selected ones that are sort of a range
- [00:01:00.250]of different sources.
- [00:01:02.760]For example we have Thomcord,
- [00:01:05.390]which is a hybrid of Thompson Seedless, and Concord,
- [00:01:10.370]that was developed in California.
- [00:01:13.350]We have two different grapes from,
- [00:01:17.131]the Cornell University Breeding Program.
- [00:01:21.766]Marquis, which is a white table grape
- [00:01:25.840]that's been introduced twenty years ago or so,
- [00:01:30.760]and their most recent introduction Everest,
- [00:01:34.070]which they introduced just a couple of years ago,
- [00:01:37.200]and named it last year.
- [00:01:40.010]We also have,
- [00:01:42.110]grapes from,
- [00:01:44.000]table grape from Elmer Swenson's Breeding Program,
- [00:01:48.300]Somerset Seedless,
- [00:01:50.400]and then also another,
- [00:01:54.770]Cornell selection,
- [00:01:58.520]And among them they vary all the way from,
- [00:02:03.330]green grape to,
- [00:02:06.410]deep red,
- [00:02:07.680]small berries, large berries.
- [00:02:12.950]We also have a grape from the,
- [00:02:17.530]University of Arkansas Breeding Program,
- [00:02:21.100]Mars and it's doing well also but,
- [00:02:24.920]the Mars is one example of the University of Arkansas
- [00:02:29.830]Breeding Program, table grapes,
- [00:02:31.034]which are all named after planets so,
- [00:02:35.130]you can find Neptune on the market for example
- [00:02:38.220]but we did not test that.
- [00:02:40.060]Mars is proven to be successful,
- [00:02:42.696]reasonably hardy year in Nebraska.
- [00:02:47.618](upbeat music)
Log in to post comments