TLTE COVID-19 Training
COVID-19 Training | De[artment of Teaching, Learning and Teacher Education | College of Education and Human Sciences | The University of Nebraska
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:02.130]this is Guy Trainin and I'm the Chair of
the Department of Teaching, Learning and
- [00:00:05.460]Teacher Education. And I'd like
to welcome you to fall 2020.
- [00:00:09.630]I know this is a challenging time,
- [00:00:11.400]but we at the Department of Teaching,
Learning and Teacher Education.
- [00:00:14.500]Want to make sure that you have
a safe and productive semester.
- [00:00:18.860]In order to keep everyone safe.
- [00:00:21.080]It's important to have built-in social
distancing processes and procedures.
- [00:00:25.970]For instance,
- [00:00:26.690]consider conducting as many meetings
as possible using remote technology,
- [00:00:31.460]such as zoom. Furthermore, while
the risk dial is in orange or red,
- [00:00:36.590]there should be no in
person meetings of any kind.
- [00:00:40.100]When you do find yourself in person
with one or more individuals,
- [00:00:43.730]make sure there's at least six feet
of distance between you and them.
- [00:00:47.660]Capacities of various spaces have been
carefully assigned based on a person's
- [00:00:52.220]ability to keep a six-foot
bubble around themselves.
- [00:00:56.840]In practice,
- [00:00:58.130]physical distancing can be made easier
simply by providing environments where
- [00:01:02.360]people are less likely to accidentally
violate social distancing norms.
- [00:01:07.730]One way this is achieved is
through careful furniture
- [00:01:10.490]placement. Furniture has been strategically
placed throughout classrooms and
- [00:01:15.260]common areas throughout Henzlik in an
attempt to discourage close proximity.
- [00:01:20.570]Therefore please don't move any furniture.
It has been placed where it is for that
- [00:01:27.320]Each space has also been carefully
evaluated to determine the appropriate
- [00:01:31.400]maximum capacity to still allow
individuals a six-foot bubble.
- [00:01:36.350]These capacity numbers are posted
on signs throughout common areas.
- [00:01:40.610]You're encouraged to start looking
at these signs so you can familiarize
- [00:01:44.570]yourself with the capacity
expectations to the spaces you visit.
- [00:01:49.610]In fact,
- [00:01:50.330]there has been an explosion of signage
around campus designed to keep you safe.
- [00:01:55.910]Please respect all the signage and
always follow the directives indicated on
- [00:02:00.320]the signs. In the spirit of
respecting capacity considerations,
- [00:02:05.630]please exercise restraint and minimize
your interactions with others in common
- [00:02:10.850]such as office suites and lobbies, hallways
and stairways, the kitchen in Henzlik
- [00:02:16.580]39, and all copy rooms.
- [00:02:19.340]We are limiting copy room
capacities to one person at a time.
- [00:02:24.680]Another action that's been put in place
to keep you safe is the implementation
- [00:02:29.180]of traffic patterns in Henzlik hall.
- [00:02:32.390]If we can keep people moving
in the same direction,
- [00:02:35.090]we can reduce the amount of cross-traffic
and we can make it more possible for a
- [00:02:39.050]person to control the horizontal and
vertical space they have as they move
- [00:02:43.190]through the hall.
- [00:02:44.570]So make sure you pay attention to the
signs on the walls and floors and follow
- [00:02:48.770]those traffic patterns. In order to
control the flow of traffic in the
- [00:02:53.480]department, main office,
- [00:02:55.100]everyone is asked to simply use the
back door and coming in to check mail.
- [00:03:00.190]Although we'll be sad.
We won't get to see you.
- [00:03:02.980]It is not necessary to come through
the main lobby area when you're simply
- [00:03:06.670]checking to see if you have mail.
- [00:03:09.580]Since it is important to limit the
number of people in the backroom,
- [00:03:13.300]we have determined that only staff will
be allowed to use the copy machine in
- [00:03:16.990]Henzlik 118.
- [00:03:18.880]There are other copiers for instructor
use throughout the building.
- [00:03:23.200]To specifically, speak to Henzlik's
- [00:03:26.200]The main floor has been designated
with a one-way traffic flow,
- [00:03:29.980]where people will move East
to West among the corridor.
- [00:03:33.370]Second floor we'll have
a bit less traffic.
- [00:03:35.590]So there is not a designated
direction. Although if you exit left,
- [00:03:39.430]whenever leaving a classroom
on the second floor,
- [00:03:42.100]you will be contributing
to safe traffic patterns.
- [00:03:45.220]Much thought has gone into how we can
feasibly keep people safe and physically
- [00:03:49.420]distant while still enjoying the
experience of in-person instruction and
- [00:03:53.260]services. In order to keep each other safe.
- [00:03:56.500]Please adhere to these new procedures
and respect the distance between yourself
- [00:04:00.970]and others. Thank you.
- [00:04:03.780]Another important component to keeping
yourself safe is to monitor yourself
- [00:04:07.470]daily for any symptoms that
could be related to COVID-19.
- [00:04:11.100]The three most common symptoms are
fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
- [00:04:15.360]For a more extensive and
continually updated list can
be found on the Center for
- [00:04:19.410]Disease Control's website.
- [00:04:21.900]If you do have symptoms of COVID-19
stay home and contact your healthcare
- [00:04:26.070]provider, Department of Health and Human
Services, and/or the University Health
- [00:04:30.360]Center. Similarly, it is
also necessary to stay home
- [00:04:34.470]if you come into close contact
with someone with COVID-19.
Staying home means not
- [00:04:39.570]coming to in-person classes, work, or
other activities here at the university.
- [00:04:44.820]If you are a student, contact
your instructor to tell
them you are staying home,
- [00:04:49.380]be sure to be familiar with any
updated attendance policies as well.
- [00:04:53.520]If you are an instructor,
- [00:04:54.840]please contact the department office
to let us know you are staying home.
- [00:04:58.770]Finally, if you are self
quarantined, let us know,
- [00:05:01.950]and we're happy to assist with shifting
your instruction to a different mode.
- [00:05:06.030]If you are visiting the main
office in Henzlik 118,
- [00:05:09.240]you will be asked to record your name
and your time in and out in a log at the
- [00:05:13.080]front desk. For the
purpose of contact tracing.
- [00:05:15.840]We will have hand sanitizer and clean
pens at the front desk for this process.
- [00:05:20.220]Keep common areas uncluttered to
ease in cleaning and disinfecting.
- [00:05:24.630]So if you have stacks of student files
on services that go back to 1985,
- [00:05:30.810]it might be a good idea to go-ahead
and call for some shredding bins.
- [00:05:34.500]So you can get in there and
clean those hard reach spaces.
- [00:05:38.340]Please avoid bringing and storing food
as much as possible in the office.
- [00:05:43.530]I'm adding that part, eat it in
your car, store it in your car.
- [00:05:47.520]No don't store it in your car. Don't
store it in your car. But if you must, uh,
- [00:05:51.690]there's still the refrigerator, which
apparently will be cleaned out every week.
- [00:05:55.230]That's a promise. That's a threat.
That's what, it's a rule. It's a rule.
- [00:06:00.560]Refrigerators will be
cleaned out every week.
- [00:06:02.540]If you're sharing a
keyboard or a workstation,
- [00:06:05.900]make sure that you disinfect it before
and after you use it. All shared coffee,
- [00:06:12.500]mugs, utensils, and coffee makers.
- [00:06:15.050]You'll notice have been removed from
community spaces in our offices and common
- [00:06:22.010]areas. Instructors,
- [00:06:23.750]if you could please remember to
bring your keys with you to campus.
- [00:06:29.180]That would be great. Each instructor will
be issued their own dry erase markers.
- [00:06:34.550]And lastly,
- [00:06:35.900]thoroughly wash your hands with soap and
water. In order to maintain yourselves
- [00:06:42.110]We have included personal protective
equipment or PPE all around the building.
- [00:06:47.600]Items such as hand sanitation stations
are at your disposal to use. Note,
- [00:06:52.310]these are also accessible
on other areas on campus,
- [00:06:55.220]as well as outside. Other
personal protective equipment,
- [00:06:58.580]we will use to ensure safety, are gloves.
Our staff will mostly be using these,
- [00:07:03.320]but they are also available
to who may need them.
- [00:07:05.930]We have installed plexiglass on our front desk
to maintain a barrier and make social
- [00:07:09.800]distance easier for visitors.
- [00:07:12.080]We just ask that instructors could please
wear their pictures so that others may
- [00:07:15.620]be able to recognize them. Even with
the coverings. Speaking of coverings,
- [00:07:20.120]you must wear one such as a mask or
face shield in the classrooms and other
- [00:07:24.260]common areas.
- [00:07:25.460]The reason for that is if COVID-19
carrier were to walk in without a mask,
- [00:07:30.220]that would put our people who are wearing a
mask at a moderately high risk,
- [00:07:34.550]even with plexiglass installed, this
does not replace face coverings.
- [00:07:38.330]We would like to maintain the probability
of getting COVID low by ensuring all
- [00:07:42.470]personnel are wearing their
mask and visitors. Pictured,
- [00:07:46.310]we have clear instructions
on how to care for your mask,
- [00:07:49.640]wash your hands before and after touching
face-covering. Inspect it for any tears
- [00:07:54.350]and holes. If it has none, it is safe
for use, place the loop over your ears and
- [00:07:59.190]ensure it is worn properly.
- [00:08:01.160]By pushing down on the stem or a metal
part that goes over the nose. To remove and
- [00:08:06.650]wash, grab the loops and pull
them away from your face.
- [00:08:10.460]Please wash and dry after each day,
- [00:08:12.320]use, for best results wash with
laundry detergent, and the hottest water
- [00:08:17.720]suitable for fabric, dry on high heat.
- [00:08:21.290]Remember to maintain a six-foot distance
from others. For more instructions on
- [00:08:25.880]use, care, cleaning, maintenance, removal,
- [00:08:30.860]and disposal of personal
- [00:08:33.680]Please visit the CDC
government website. Thank you.
- [00:08:37.610]And we can't wait to see you again.
- [00:08:39.880]The pandemic is an ongoing challenge,
- [00:08:42.430]making sure our community
is safe, is paramount.
- [00:08:46.270]We know that our actions matter and that
the part of our actions is remaining
- [00:08:51.250]The best way to achieve that is to attend
to university emails and actively use
- [00:08:56.530]reliable resources
endorsed by the university.
- [00:09:00.730]We hope you stay safe.
Log in to post comments