MMY Teaching Module: Undergraduate Course - Psychology
Mental Measurements Yearbook (MMY), Teaching Module by Nina Ventresco, M.Ed., The College of New Jersey
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.000]Hi, my name is Nina Vantresco.
- [00:00:02.508]I am a school psychologist
and an adjunct professor
- [00:00:05.547]in the Psychology Department at the
College of New Jersey.
- [00:00:08.819]Also known as TCNJ.
- [00:00:10.142]Several years back, I actually graduated
from TCNJ myself with my
- [00:00:14.822]bachelor's degree. When I was
at TCNJ in the
- [00:00:17.387]Psychology Department,
I took a really wonderful
- [00:00:20.798]course called Psychological
- [00:00:23.943]and it was there where I was
first introduced to the
- [00:00:27.041]Buros Center for Testing's Mental
Measurements Yearbook or MMY.
- [00:00:31.041]We used that all throughout the
semester as an objective source
- [00:00:35.041]of information about published test
instruments. Ever since that initial
- [00:00:39.041]introduction, I personally have been
relying on the MMY within my career as a
- [00:00:45.111]school psychologist. I am also lucky
enough to be back at TCNJ teaching
- [00:00:50.441]that very same course that I
took as an undergraduate so the MMY
- [00:00:54.441]is still an integral part of the course.
- [00:00:58.441]I assign some tests and several test
reviews throughout the semester to
- [00:01:02.441]illustrate certain concepts. For example,
when we discuss reliability and validity,
- [00:01:06.441]we read example test reviews and
students also have
- [00:01:12.661]to use the MMY to complete their final
project for the course.
- [00:01:18.081]So essentially they're tasked with
selecting a test instrument that's of
- [00:01:22.901]interest to them. They read the
corresponding MMY reviews as well as
- [00:01:27.221]some, what I call, less objective
information about the test
- [00:01:31.221]such as advertisements or brochures
put out by the test publisher.
- [00:01:35.221]Then they ultimately produce their
own comprehensive review of
- [00:01:39.221]the test instrument and on the very
last classes for the semester
- [00:01:43.588]they present their findings to the class.
Some additional information about this
- [00:01:49.296]assignment can be found at the link
below. I have found that the students
- [00:01:53.296]really enjoy reading the MMY reviews
and completing the final project.
- [00:01:57.312]I think they really benefit from the
reviews, given that they're so concise,
- [00:02:02.554]but also really information dense.
I think it's helpful for the students
- [00:02:07.592]to see that whereas the reviewers
generally tend to agree, they sometimes
- [00:02:11.592]have differing opinions about a test,
technical properties, practicality, or
- [00:02:16.944]overall utility. So everything's not
always so black and white.
- [00:02:20.643]I also think that exposing them to the
MMY reviews is really helpful and it helps
- [00:02:26.910]to reinforce one of the major takeaways
that I have for the course,
- [00:02:31.065]which is that a given test instrument
may be valid for use with a
- [00:02:36.778]given a certain population or for a
- [00:02:40.134]It's really important to avoid
overgeneralizing those findings.
- [00:02:44.673]My general advice, if you are interested
in assigning a similar
- [00:02:48.990]module at least at the undergraduate
level, would be to encourage students
- [00:02:53.206]to work on their projects as
early as possible in the semester.
- [00:02:57.489]Just because it can be challenging to
take in a lot of information, some of
- [00:03:03.114]which is technical, and then
summarize it clearly and succinctly.
- [00:03:07.778]I would also encourage instructors
to be mindful of students
- [00:03:11.290]prerequisite level of statistics. Again,
especially at the undergraduate level.
- [00:03:15.378]In some cases I have found it helpful
to sit down with students during office
- [00:03:19.741]hours and help them to interpret
statistics that they may come across in
- [00:03:23.951]MMY reviews. So for example, a
confirmatory factor analysis,
- [00:03:28.083]I helped the students interpret those
data and understand what they really mean
- [00:03:33.912]as far as the validity of the test goes.
- [00:03:36.843]I hope you enjoy checking out my
instructional module. Thank you.
Log in to post comments