Environmental Stewards Track
Hear about the new Honors Environmental Stewards Track.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:06.360]Welcome to the Environmental Stewards Honors Track.
- [00:00:09.500]I'm Grace Panther and I'm a faculty member
- [00:00:11.940]in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- [00:00:15.530]I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and my passion
- [00:00:18.260]for environmental issues has long been ingrained in me
- [00:00:21.460]from a young age.
- [00:00:23.480]Hello, my name is Shannon Bartelt-Hunt.
- [00:00:25.710]Also from the
- [00:00:26.543]Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- [00:00:29.090]I've always loved spending time outdoors
- [00:00:31.160]and have been interested in how people interact
- [00:00:33.470]with their environment.
- [00:00:34.900]We are excited to co-lead this Honors Track.
- [00:00:39.480]Being part of
- [00:00:40.313]the Nebraska Honors Environmental Stewards Track,
- [00:00:43.520]we'll expose you to the rich intersections
- [00:00:46.290]between the social and natural worlds
- [00:00:49.060]and allow you to explore topics, including access to water,
- [00:00:53.290]waste management and recycling and public
- [00:00:56.527]and environmental health.
- [00:00:58.850]For example, do you know that
- [00:01:00.970]on average Nebraskans produced two times
- [00:01:04.160]the national average of waste each day?
- [00:01:07.360]There are multitude of factors contributing to this
- [00:01:09.970]such as infrastructure, regulations and culture.
- [00:01:14.460]As an environmental steward,
- [00:01:16.010]you will hear from diverse perspectives
- [00:01:18.410]on current environmental issues
- [00:01:20.800]engage with community partners and critically reflect
- [00:01:24.610]on current and future environmentally focused
- [00:01:27.740]sustainability practices.
- [00:01:30.090]We will learn about globally important issues
- [00:01:32.310]and then apply this knowledge locally to our community.
- [00:01:36.410]In doing so, we will engage with engineers,
- [00:01:39.180]nonprofit organizations, lawmakers, city planners
- [00:01:43.340]and community members.
- [00:01:45.200]Our hope is that your experiences in this track
- [00:01:48.070]provide a launching point for you
- [00:01:49.890]to engage with environmental issues
- [00:01:52.310]and sustainability practices today and into the future.
- [00:01:57.510]We're excited.
- [00:01:58.920]For you to join us.
Log in to post comments