Dr. McMahon Explains Honors Tracks
Hear Dr. McMahon explain Honors Tracks.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:06.380]Hello, my name is Patrice McMahon,
- [00:00:09.060]I'm the Director of the University Honors Program.
- [00:00:11.930]I'm excited to talk to you about honors experiential tracks.
- [00:00:17.020]Now more than ever,
- [00:00:18.750]college students need experiences outside the classroom.
- [00:00:22.660]They also need what some people call soft skills.
- [00:00:25.200]I call them essential 21st century skills.
- [00:00:29.000]In the honors program, we want you to thrive
- [00:00:32.320]in a changing workplace.
- [00:00:34.200]This means you need to hone your communication skills,
- [00:00:37.870]you need to practice problem solving,
- [00:00:40.190]and you need to know how to work in a team.
- [00:00:42.630]Since these are skills that are difficult to practice
- [00:00:45.560]in the classroom alone,
- [00:00:47.280]the honors program has created experiential tracks
- [00:00:51.000]for students in their third and fourth year
- [00:00:53.840]at the university.
- [00:00:55.200]Our experiential tracks are focused around student passions
- [00:00:58.878]and career opportunities.
- [00:01:01.460]Honors experiential tracks provide you with the time
- [00:01:05.210]and the opportunity to acquire professional skills,
- [00:01:08.810]to practice those skills, and you'll have plenty of time
- [00:01:12.060]to develop professional networks.
- [00:01:14.600]And this does not mean a lot of additional classes.
- [00:01:18.080]Like all honors students, track students must complete
- [00:01:21.830]a 395H seminar in your third or fourth year.
- [00:01:26.280]Students will also participate
- [00:01:28.200]in a one credit cohort-based seminar,
- [00:01:31.970]which means no lecturing,
- [00:01:33.500]lots of time to discuss, debate, and practice skills.
- [00:01:37.860]Higher education is indeed changing,
- [00:01:40.350]and we know that in the honors program
- [00:01:42.670]and honors experiential tracks provide students
- [00:01:45.910]with multidisciplinary perspectives
- [00:01:48.220]and numerous real world opportunities for success.
- [00:01:52.727]Focus your studies while simultaneously extending
- [00:01:56.660]your learning outside the classroom.
- [00:01:59.120]So be ready for the future and what skills will you learn?
Log in to post comments