Rob Simon Welcomes You to the College of Business
Rob Simon, marketing faculty, urges you to take chances, dive deep and challenge yourself in college.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.840]Hi, everyone.
- [00:00:01.960]Welcome to UNL and the College of Business.
- [00:00:04.780]We all look forward to working with you in the coming years,
- [00:00:09.610]and I hope I get a chance to see you personally.
- [00:00:13.620]My name is Rob Simon.
- [00:00:15.160]I am an instructor in the marketing department
- [00:00:17.850]and teach numerous marketing classes.
- [00:00:23.430]I was asked to kind of give you what
- [00:00:26.760]my recommendation would be if I was starting college
- [00:00:29.440]over again, which was a long, long time ago.
- [00:00:32.650]But number one, take chances.
- [00:00:35.800]Challenge yourself.
- [00:00:36.800]Take something that's a reach for you.
- [00:00:39.660]Do something new and different,
- [00:00:42.170]and those challenges will really help you learn as
- [00:00:46.290]you move forward in the program.
- [00:00:48.560]Number two, take a computer science class.
- [00:00:51.820]Everything we do in business today is based on digital,
- [00:00:58.000]digital learning and computer science,
- [00:01:00.980]and it's really important that you get a background in that.
- [00:01:05.020]Number three, take something, a class that's interesting.
- [00:01:10.210]Join a group that you're really passionate about.
- [00:01:13.420]Go really deep with one area that
- [00:01:16.070]you really want to do something different or look at.
- [00:01:20.150]Try not to spread yourself so thin.
- [00:01:24.270]Don't join every group.
- [00:01:26.040]It's not a checklist.
- [00:01:27.500]Companies are looking for people
- [00:01:28.900]who've really done a lot in a few areas
- [00:01:33.090]and been very focused on it.
- [00:01:35.110]So welcome again to UNL,
- [00:01:36.970]and I look forward to working with some of you.
Log in to post comments