14. Zenda - 2020 Eastern Nebraska Winter Wheat Variety Trial Virtual Tour
Discussion of variety Zenda from Kansas Wheat Alliance
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.820]The next variety up is Zenda.
- [00:00:02.090]It's a release in 2016,
- [00:00:04.290]from the Kansas State Breeding Program,
- [00:00:06.290]or under the Kansas State Weed Alliance.
- [00:00:09.740]This variety's been really good in Eastern Nebraska,
- [00:00:12.540]in terms of yield performance.
- [00:00:14.060]Some real things to highlight about this variety
- [00:00:15.990]is its scab resistance.
- [00:00:17.850]Rated a three or a four,
- [00:00:19.240]so, right up there with resistance similar to Overland
- [00:00:22.820]and WestBred4699,
- [00:00:24.720]and that's been a real asset in Nebraska.
- [00:00:27.070]In 2015, a lot of growers actually quit growing wheat
- [00:00:29.810]because of scab issues,
- [00:00:31.270]and so, that's definitely a priority,
- [00:00:32.790]in terms of a risk management plan.
- [00:00:34.250]Some other things about this variety,
- [00:00:36.240]its background is Everest,
- [00:00:37.410]which was one of the most commonly varieties planted,
- [00:00:40.130]especially across Central and Eastern Kansas.
- [00:00:42.720]This variety has really good winter hardiness,
- [00:00:44.480]so, it does move north a little bit better.
- [00:00:46.290]It has better spring tillering than it did with Everest.
- [00:00:50.620]In terms of other disease resistance,
- [00:00:52.710]really good resistance to leaf rust, as well as stripe rust.
- [00:00:56.907]The stripe rust resistance
- [00:00:59.180]is breaking down a little bit with some race changes,
- [00:01:01.270]they've noticed in Kansas.
- [00:01:02.350]So, we'll see how it does this year.
- [00:01:04.140]But then, in terms of quality and improvement over Everest,
- [00:01:07.520]that was a big complaint that millers had with Everest.
- [00:01:09.880]So, an improvement with Zenda.
- [00:01:11.220]Also, it had consistent test weight,
- [00:01:13.940]and good protein, or acceptable protein.
- [00:01:16.030]So again, when it comes to money at the elevator,
- [00:01:18.770]it's something between scab and test weight
- [00:01:21.870]that's really helped it.
- [00:01:22.760]And in terms of yield,
- [00:01:23.740]it may not be the highest yielding variety,
- [00:01:25.330]but, when we have no fungicide applications,
- [00:01:27.630]it's one of the top,
- [00:01:28.750]and when we spray it with the fungicide,
- [00:01:30.020]it's still in the middle of the pack.
- [00:01:31.470]So, a very good consistent variety
- [00:01:32.970]for growers here in Eastern Nebraska.
- [00:01:35.802](lively light music)
Log in to post comments