Pasta + Broccoli Dish
Follow along as Dietetic Intern, Nicole Legler shows us how to make this easy Pasta and Broccoli dish!!
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.465](upbeat music)
- [00:00:06.109]Hi, everyone, my name is Nicole Legler,
- [00:00:07.830]and I am a dietetic intern student here
- [00:00:10.130]at the University of Nebraska.
- [00:00:11.910]Today I'm gonna be guiding you
- [00:00:13.120]through a cooking demo using ingredients
- [00:00:15.210]that you likely already have in your house
- [00:00:16.970]to make a quick and easy pasta and broccoli dish.
- [00:00:19.980]Let's get started.
- [00:00:21.660]The ingredients for this recipe
- [00:00:23.090]include 1 1/2 cups of broccoli, frozen or fresh.
- [00:00:26.750]Frozen's a great option to keep in your freezer
- [00:00:29.120]and can be used for many recipes, as it is here.
- [00:00:32.040]1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, one tablespoon butter,
- [00:00:36.090]one cup of pasta or noodle of your choice,
- [00:00:38.770]salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- [00:00:40.710]Here you can see that I chose a red lentil pasta,
- [00:00:43.380]which is very high in protein and additional fiber.
- [00:00:46.500]I encourage you to choose
- [00:00:47.580]a lentil-based or whole-wheat pasta
- [00:00:49.800]to increase nutrient value
- [00:00:51.380]of your lunch or dinner meal.
- [00:00:54.130]To get started, you'll want to fill your stove pot
- [00:00:56.300]up to halfway with water.
- [00:01:00.970]Next, you'll place your stove pot on a burner
- [00:01:03.500]and put the heat on high.
- [00:01:05.830]Once your water has come to a boil,
- [00:01:07.730]remove the lid and add your one cup of pasta
- [00:01:11.240]or noodle of your choosing.
- [00:01:17.920]Cook your pasta or noodle according to the directions
- [00:01:20.330]on the recipe box.
- [00:01:21.630]Mine was seven to nine minutes here.
- [00:01:24.090]Continue to stir throughout cooking time.
- [00:01:27.170]Once the pasta is done,
- [00:01:28.390]you'll pour this into a colander or strainer
- [00:01:30.770]and let this be for a moment.
- [00:01:32.600]In the meantime, return the stove pot back to the burner,
- [00:01:35.710]add your butter, around a tablespoon or one-second drizzle
- [00:01:39.130]of olive oil, and reduce the heat down to medium-low heat.
- [00:01:45.330]You will then add your 1 1/2 cups of broccoli
- [00:01:48.650]and stir the broccoli in the butter and olive oil.
- [00:01:55.480]After the broccoli is coated,
- [00:01:56.820]return the lid onto the stove pot
- [00:01:58.860]and let steam for one to two minutes.
- [00:02:01.380]Once the broccoli has been steamed,
- [00:02:02.980]remove the lid and add your following ingredients,
- [00:02:05.630]including your already-cooked pasta or noodles,
- [00:02:09.440]1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, which is pre-grated,
- [00:02:17.120]and salt and pepper to taste.
- [00:02:33.280]Stir these ingredients just for a moment
- [00:02:35.360]to start allowing the cheese to melt
- [00:02:37.390]into the pasta and broccoli before plating.
- [00:02:51.420]Sprinkle additional Parmesan cheese on top to taste, enjoy.
Log in to post comments