Academic Advising Center for NSE Parents
Trish Fenster | New Student Enrollment | Academic Advising Center for Parents
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:03.150]Hello parents and welcome to the College
of Education and Human Sciences at the
- [00:00:07.680]University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- [00:00:09.900]My name is Trish Fenster and I am an
academic advisor for the college. Today.
- [00:00:14.730]I would like to tell you a little bit
about our advising structure and how we
- [00:00:18.420]are here to support your
Husker student. First,
- [00:00:22.020]we have an assigned advising model,
- [00:00:24.360]which means we get to work with our
assigned students from the time of new
- [00:00:27.990]student enrollment all the way to when
they cross the finish line at graduation.
- [00:00:33.080]That means we get to meet,
- [00:00:34.070]build relationships with our students
and get to know them throughout their
- [00:00:37.190]journey, which we think is really special.
- [00:00:39.930]Our students are encouraged to come and
visit us at least one time per semester
- [00:00:45.170]to prepare for classes for the next term,
- [00:00:47.750]but we would love to
see them more than that.
- [00:00:50.000]Some additional reasons they
might pop in would be, um,
- [00:00:53.600]planning for education abroad
and extracurricular activity,
- [00:00:57.470]undergraduate research,
- [00:00:59.330]or discussing some pre-recs
for professional school
that might be necessary.
- [00:01:03.410]We can also be the first stop for any
questions or referrals to other offices on
- [00:01:08.750]If your student is struggling such as
tutoring or counseling and professional
- [00:01:14.580]we offer advising hours five days a week
from eight to five and in that structure
- [00:01:20.550]on Mondays, Tuesdays,
Thursdays, and Fridays,
- [00:01:23.010]we have in-person half hour
- [00:01:26.280]We use a really great online calendar
- [00:01:28.330]in tool called My Plan so a student
can schedule with us at any time of the
- [00:01:32.460]day. We also have walk-in Wednesday
hours, which are kind of like triaged.
- [00:01:36.980]The doctor's office is someone who's just
pop in with a quick question or maybe
- [00:01:40.980]get a form signed. Wednesdays
are great for that.
- [00:01:44.710]Advising is really a proactive job.
- [00:01:47.620]We spend a great deal of time
tracking the progress of our students,
- [00:01:51.400]sending emails of reminders of important
deadlines or upcoming processes your
- [00:01:56.410]student needs to be involved in,
- [00:01:58.480]but ultimately your student success is
on their shoulders and they need to take
- [00:02:03.220]ownership of their degree audit and
understanding the requirements of their
- [00:02:07.330]program. For that reason,
- [00:02:09.130]we really encourage those once a
semester advising appointments.
- [00:02:12.660]So please send them to see us.
- [00:02:14.950]And while we know you are working just
as hard to be proactive in your students'
- [00:02:19.690]please know that we are limited in
the information we can share with you.
- [00:02:23.440]Do the FERPA guidelines. If you need
additional information about FERPA,
- [00:02:28.000]please visit F E R P A.unl.edu
to read more about that policy.
- [00:02:35.150]Please enjoy this last summertime with
your student and know that we will take
- [00:02:39.770]good care of them when they're here
in fall. Thank you. Go Big Red
Log in to post comments