189H: Graffiti Revolution
Professor Sandra Williams talks about her popular and engaging Honors semiar.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:04.330]Between 1945 and 1972,
- [00:00:07.440]Robert Moses' plan to build the Cross Bronx Expressway
- [00:00:11.030]set into action a chain of events
- [00:00:12.840]that would forever impact global creative culture.
- [00:00:17.700]The devastating public fallout gave birth
- [00:00:19.930]to one of the most influential visual and musical forms
- [00:00:22.660]of artistic global expressions today, hip hop.
- [00:00:26.700]Graffiti writing is a significant component to that.
- [00:00:30.220]Graffiti Revolution is the study of a visual voice
- [00:00:32.680]of resistance, and embedded in that
- [00:00:34.920]is the pedagogy of resistance.
- [00:00:37.500]This class is a study of creative place making,
- [00:00:41.200]public and private spheres,
- [00:00:43.250]and international relations from the perspective of those
- [00:00:46.510]one doesn't often hear from.
- [00:00:48.830]We look at global events
- [00:00:50.270]ranging from the Arab Spring, to the current coronavirus,
- [00:00:54.060]the Olympics, and the World Cup,
- [00:00:56.240]to visual expressions of people suffering
- [00:00:58.220]under dictatorial regimes like Chile under Pinochet's rule.
- [00:01:03.250]Students in this class can expect to exercise
- [00:01:06.000]their own creative and personal expression
- [00:01:08.670]in regard to street art,
- [00:01:09.840]and graffiti's philosophical underpinnings.
- [00:01:12.670]Those include detournement, Parisia,
- [00:01:15.760]cynicism, and joyful science.
- [00:01:18.520]Class projects guide students
- [00:01:20.360]through experimental processes, and respectful dialogue,
- [00:01:24.150]in regard to controversial subjects.
- [00:01:27.640]While this class is not terribly difficult,
- [00:01:30.670]when investigated properly,
- [00:01:32.510]students will find it personally challenging.
- [00:01:35.680]My name is Sandra Williams,
- [00:01:37.700]and my honors seminar is Graffiti Revolution.
Log in to post comments