189H: The Anthropology of Getting Fit and Chilling Out
Learn about this exciting new Honors seminar from Professor Gwyneth Talley.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:04.134]Hi, everyone, this is Dr. Gwyneth Talley.
- [00:00:07.030]I'm in the School of Global Integrated Studies
- [00:00:09.110]and this Fall 2020,
- [00:00:10.480]I'll be offering Anthropology 189H
- [00:00:13.130]entitled Sports, Games, Leisure:
- [00:00:15.580]The Anthropology of Getting Fit and Chilling Out.
- [00:00:17.723]So if you've ever been excited by your hobbies,
- [00:00:20.920]which I hope you have many,
- [00:00:22.641]this is the course for you.
- [00:00:24.250]We want to know why we're gonna use leisure
- [00:00:26.710]as a big important part of understanding human condition.
- [00:00:30.233]So if you've ever been interested
- [00:00:32.105]in why you like husker games,
- [00:00:34.780]why you play Dungeons and Dragons,
- [00:00:36.450]why you've got to go work out,
- [00:00:37.970]why does your body crave it,
- [00:00:39.500]why does your mind crave it,
- [00:00:40.770]this is the course for you.
- [00:00:42.170]And we're gonna be looking at ethnographic examples
- [00:00:44.380]from all over the world.
- [00:00:45.710]We're gonna be looking at Trobriand cricket,
- [00:00:48.320]we're gonna be looking at parkour in Palestine,
- [00:00:51.130]we're gonna be looking at everything
- [00:00:54.130]from amateur sports to hobbies to chess
- [00:00:59.860]to spending time in the great outdoors
- [00:01:02.020]to the need to travel
- [00:01:03.070]and how we spend our leisure time
- [00:01:05.248]getting away from our every day life.
- [00:01:07.980]So I hope you'll all join me.
- [00:01:10.140]We're gonna have some great opportunities and some speakers.
- [00:01:12.385]So please join me for Sports, Games and Leisure.
Log in to post comments