UHON 395H: You MAD, Bro? The Politics of Nuclear Weapons
Learn about this exciting and popular Honors seminar on nuclear assurance, deterrence, and politics!
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:02.150]On August 6, 1945,
- [00:00:03.770]an American B-29, known as the Enola Gay,
- [00:00:06.120]dropped the very first nuclear weapon
- [00:00:07.860]on the city of Hiroshima, Japan.
- [00:00:11.360]In one minute, an entire city was wiped off the face
- [00:00:14.272]of the earth, using only one bomb.
- [00:00:17.850]It completely and significantly changed the world
- [00:00:20.520]and history that would come after that moment.
- [00:00:24.340]This course is designed to show you what the history
- [00:00:27.263]of nuclear weapons and nuclear policy were like,
- [00:00:30.440]after Hiroshima all the way through today.
- [00:00:33.580]A major theme in this course is going to be on deterrence,
- [00:00:36.710]and you're gonna get a chance
- [00:00:37.830]to interact with deterrence professionals
- [00:00:39.860]from the U.S. Strategic Command, just up the road
- [00:00:42.500]at Offutt Air Force Base.
- [00:00:44.340]You're gonna learn about contemporary nuclear challenges,
- [00:00:48.360]proliferation, deterrence, and how we fight a nuclear war.
- [00:00:53.800]Of course, the best way
- [00:00:54.660]to fight and win a nuclear is to never fight one at all.
- [00:00:58.049](bell dings)
Log in to post comments