Cornhusker Speech and Debate
Nebraska's Big Ten championship debate team is the oldest student organization on campus.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.318]Irish wristwatch.
- [00:00:02.927]Irish wristwatch.
- [00:00:05.490]Speech is a competitive student activity.
- [00:00:08.580]So we do 11 different speech events
- [00:00:11.210]that fall into three categories.
- [00:00:12.790]Traditional public speaking,
- [00:00:14.270]informative or persuasive speaking.
- [00:00:16.540]The more acting events, drama, poetry,
- [00:00:20.030]and the limited preparation events,
- [00:00:21.770]like impromptu or extemporaneous speaking.
- [00:00:24.240]And then debate, we're debating both sides of a topic
- [00:00:27.840]for the whole year.
- [00:00:28.940]But it's all about advocating for ideas you care about,
- [00:00:32.110]and doing them in a passionate way
- [00:00:33.640]so that you can compete at the best level.
- [00:00:35.990]Counseling, and what they said.
- [00:00:38.475]Counseling, so have I went to counseling.
- [00:00:42.191]I just felt it, you know, this stranger giving me
- [00:00:46.620]exactly what I needed in this moment.
- [00:00:49.670]We're the oldest student activity on campus,
- [00:00:51.730]this is our 149th year.
- [00:00:53.890]We work together, we're each other's friends,
- [00:00:56.950]in and out of competition.
- [00:00:58.670]The star of the show was an international model,
- [00:01:02.440]an expert in artificial intelligence,
- [00:01:05.420]and a robot named Sophia!
- [00:01:07.890]So we're open to any any student on-campus
- [00:01:10.070]that wants to be on the speech and debate team.
- [00:01:12.150]Our coaches are incredible mentors.
- [00:01:14.760]So we've got students who are computer science majors,
- [00:01:17.830]and biology majors, and education majors,
- [00:01:20.100]in political science, in course communication
- [00:01:22.350]from pretty much every college and major university.
- [00:01:25.080]Across the country,
- [00:01:26.380]police departments are trying to calculate crime.
- [00:01:29.330]But unlike the 2002 film "Minority Report",
- [00:01:32.730]they're not using psychics.
- [00:01:34.950]So we'll explore the background benefits and implications
- [00:01:37.560]of a medical program
- [00:01:38.750]where stories are the currency of medicine.
- [00:01:41.711]♪ We're all the best ♪
- [00:01:44.350]It's just the family that I can, like,
- [00:01:45.930]come to and talk to, whether I'm stressed,
- [00:01:48.610]or I'm having a good or bad day.
- [00:01:50.930]It's really cool
- [00:01:51.763]because everyone is doing individual things
- [00:01:53.570]that builds the team's success.
- [00:01:55.177]And it's really just an empowering experience.
- [00:01:57.750]Because, as "Newsweek" in September put it,
- [00:02:00.310]the situation in the Pacific is very bad.
- [00:02:04.100]Ikea's food innovation lab
- [00:02:05.650]took a seemingly key ingredient out of the burger.
- [00:02:10.150]The burger.
- [00:02:11.381]One little bird making cold.
- [00:02:12.860]One little bird really hot.
- [00:02:14.269](everyone chanting)
Log in to post comments