Entomology - Dr. Doug Golick
Dr. Golick describes his work in the Entomology Department.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.720](upbeat music)
- [00:00:06.070]My name is Doug Golick,
- [00:00:07.290]and I'm Associate Professor of Entomology
- [00:00:09.270]at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- [00:00:11.490]I do a lot of research on teaching and learning.
- [00:00:14.410]I also have a very active extension, and a teaching program.
- [00:00:18.900]Where I teach a lot of courses on teaching and learning.
- [00:00:22.870]I remember myself as a student, many years ago,
- [00:00:25.060]and I see myself in many of them.
- [00:00:27.000]You know students often, when they come into college
- [00:00:30.040]have a general idea of what they want to do.
- [00:00:32.320]But they don't know exactly how to incorporate their skills
- [00:00:37.120]and things they enjoy doing, into that dream job.
- [00:00:40.560]And for me, being here at the University of Nebraska
- [00:00:43.360]as an undergraduate, and graduate student,
- [00:00:45.580]I was treated so well.
- [00:00:47.090]I had great mentors.
- [00:00:48.740]They guided my career, and I'm very blessed
- [00:00:50.990]to be where I am today.
- [00:00:52.630]Well the grad students that work with me,
- [00:00:54.100]we have a really interesting lab
- [00:00:55.590]because a good portion of my students do insect science.
- [00:00:58.340]They are entomologists.
- [00:01:00.150]But they also all incorporate a human element.
- [00:01:02.840]The research I do is on teaching and learning.
- [00:01:05.560]And so I'm interested in the human side of our science.
- [00:01:10.100]I think the general public takes insects, in general,
- [00:01:13.480]and other arthropods for granted.
- [00:01:15.710]They're incorporated in every system, every environment.
- [00:01:21.130]They are integral to sort of global health in general.
- [00:01:24.530]And so I think with our students, with the public,
- [00:01:27.930]the work that we do, we spend a lot of our time,
- [00:01:31.330]and I think we've made great progress
- [00:01:32.830]in helping people understand
- [00:01:33.860]the importance of entomologists,
- [00:01:36.180]of insects and other arthropods.
- [00:01:38.510]And the value that insects have in our daily lives.
Log in to post comments