Carson Center: Dedication Weekend
A celebration and dedication marks the opening of the new Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.000](audience cheering)
(marching band music)
- [00:00:01.730]Fans, let's thank Johnny
- [00:00:03.189]and the Carson Foundation board!
- [00:00:06.331](crowd cheers)
- [00:00:07.766](marching band music)
- [00:00:12.420]This weekend is the
- [00:00:13.840]grand opening of the Johnny Carson center
- [00:00:15.730]and the dedication ceremony.
- [00:00:17.271](modern symphony music)
- [00:00:21.670]Now students are at the dawn of a brand-new epoch,
- [00:00:25.660]and it is they,
- [00:00:27.111]alongside our extraordinary faculty and advisors
- [00:00:30.570]that get to shape it.
- [00:00:31.970]The creativity, the entrepreneurship...
- [00:00:34.510]There's things that aren't existing yet,
- [00:00:36.340]things that could exist.
- [00:00:37.590]And there's so many bold leaders and envisionaries
- [00:00:39.900]Preparing me and all of my classmates
- [00:00:41.960]for whatever the future holds.
- [00:00:44.090]As Johnny would say, "Go big red!"
- [00:00:46.493](audience clapping)
- [00:00:47.440]Here at Nebraska,
- [00:00:49.060]we don't just wait for opportunities to come to us.
- [00:00:51.508]We create the opportunities for ourselves.
- [00:00:54.770](upbeat piano music)
- [00:00:56.960]For all the artists in the room today,
- [00:00:58.790]I want you to go forth and create counter narratives,
- [00:01:01.250]counter environments.
- [00:01:03.270]Wake us up.
- [00:01:04.430]And it's just a very creative space to
- [00:01:06.518]have new ideas and try them out.
- [00:01:09.039]To really think
- [00:01:10.564]more than just learn practical skills,
- [00:01:12.550]and to come out into a workforce really ready
- [00:01:14.463]to adapt to new technologies and work in
- [00:01:17.215]a variety of different fields and roles.
- [00:01:19.260]To have an education
- [00:01:20.162]that harnesses the unknown,
- [00:01:21.741]an opportunity to design for the future.
- [00:01:24.752]To actually create spaces and opportunities in the careers
- [00:01:28.130]that they decide to go for --
- [00:01:29.730]or careers that they decide to invent.
- [00:01:32.420]We exist to inspire our students to dream bigger,
- [00:01:35.762]to have radical imaginations,
- [00:01:37.653]and to boldly leverage new and emerging technologies.
- [00:01:41.480]The program that is groundbreaking,
- [00:01:44.140]and that's different for generations to come.
- [00:01:46.634](inspirational music)
- [00:01:51.085]So my fellow students,
- [00:01:52.640]this major is exactly what we make of it.
- [00:01:57.150]There's a famous quote that Johnny Carson had that
- [00:02:00.280]the students and staff have connected particularly with:
- [00:02:04.147]"Talent alone won't make you a success.
- [00:02:07.970]Neither will being in the right place at the right time,
- [00:02:11.810]unless you are ready.
- [00:02:13.600]The most important question is:
- [00:02:15.701]Are you ready?"
- [00:02:17.800](in unison) We are ready!
- [00:02:21.170](upbeat inspirational music)
Log in to post comments