Remembering Norman Hollyn at the Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts
Norman Hollyn advised the development of Nebraska's Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media arts.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:01.217]Here's Johnny!
- [00:00:05.607](upbeat band music)
- [00:00:09.070]Johnny Carson was an innovator
- [00:00:11.320]and it's fitting that the emerging media
- [00:00:15.260]come from someone who literally invented
- [00:00:17.820]a particular form of television and, by the way,
- [00:00:21.180]literally invented a particular form
- [00:00:23.030]of television ownership of material.
- [00:00:25.730]So, in many ways, he saw 15, 20 years down the line.
- [00:00:30.530]There was a college show at the University of Nebraska
- [00:00:32.340]called a Cosmet Club, where the various fraternities
- [00:00:35.050]would write a show and perform it
- [00:00:36.310]and I wrote the show one year called
- [00:00:37.640]She Was Only a Pharaoh's Daughter
- [00:00:39.740]but She Never Became a Mummy.
- [00:00:41.640]That is me on the couch.
- [00:00:42.951](crowd cheering)
- [00:00:46.644](upbeat drum music)
- [00:00:49.600]So, the concept for me of what
- [00:00:51.310]this emerging media arts center could really be great at
- [00:00:55.300]is to prepare students to work
- [00:00:58.440]in a future in which traditional film will disappear.
- [00:01:02.780]It's not about the tech,
- [00:01:04.540]it's about the
- [00:01:06.890]inner soul of you as a creator
- [00:01:10.620]reaching out to other kinds of input
- [00:01:13.310]and being wiser about it.
- [00:01:15.190]Carson's almost a beacon for that,
- [00:01:18.590]so that's why I think this kind of program should,
- [00:01:22.720]almost could only be housed in something like
- [00:01:25.990]the Carson School.
- [00:01:27.274](lighthearted music)
- [00:01:29.780]Here, really a chance with the new program
- [00:01:32.760]to build something from scratch
- [00:01:35.270]that's gonna work for today and the future.
- [00:01:38.950]Lincoln has a great possibility
- [00:01:41.960]being a leader in that field, to take the next step
- [00:01:44.600]way beyond what other schools are doing.
- [00:01:47.260]And, that's why I'm here
- [00:01:48.630]because I love the idea of creating curriculum
- [00:01:50.830]for the 21st century as opposed to the 20th century.
- [00:01:54.676](lighthearted music)
Log in to post comments