August 2019 NU Graduates Celebrate
Families celebrate graduation in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.671](cheerful music)
- [00:00:05.760](speaking foreign language)
- [00:00:07.648](group talking)
- [00:00:09.598](cheerful guitar music)
- [00:00:11.970]It was hard to come here
- [00:00:13.130]and focus on school and leave my family,
- [00:00:14.990]but the best part was meeting all of my friends.
- [00:00:17.410]Oh, we're so excited.
- [00:00:18.800]It's a big deal!
- [00:00:19.860]We're Huskers now (laughs).
- [00:00:22.387](group chatting)
- [00:00:23.489]One, two, three!
- [00:00:25.371](group laughs)
Is that your mommy?
- [00:00:29.640]I'm from Chile, and I really happy for this day,
- [00:00:33.500]important day of my life.
- [00:00:35.290]When I finish my thesis that was kind of a feeling
- [00:00:38.110]of relief, I mean combined with relief, happiness, and joy.
- [00:00:42.200]The father, I'm the father.
- [00:00:44.082](group singing in foreign language)
- [00:00:51.123]Yes, high five!
- [00:00:52.649]Gimme five?
- [00:00:54.630]Having a degree from Nebraska means unity,
- [00:00:56.980]and community, being together.
- [00:00:59.390]Next, having my degree I will continue teaching
- [00:01:02.950]at Saint Michaels Elementary in Hastings, Nebraska.
- [00:01:06.163](crowd cheers)
- [00:01:09.410]What it means to graduate to me and my family
- [00:01:11.080]is the next step forward in my life.
- [00:01:13.030]I'm moving out to California next week.
- [00:01:14.490]I will start a job, a photography position,
- [00:01:16.800]at a ski resort out there.
- [00:01:17.890]I'm excited to take the experiences that I learned here
- [00:01:20.370]at the University of Nebraska,
- [00:01:21.430]and apply them out in the real world.
- [00:01:22.930]Go Big Red, baby! (cheers)
- [00:01:25.523](cheerful guitar music)
- [00:01:27.748]Yeah, it's wonderful!
- [00:01:30.520]I was homeless prior to college.
- [00:01:33.050]I got the Susan Buffett Scholarship,
- [00:01:35.790]and then everything has been delightful since then.
- [00:01:38.520]It's just a way to start breaking the chains,
- [00:01:41.310]to promote higher education in our family.
- [00:01:44.110]Now that I've graduated I'm going to head
- [00:01:46.370]onto grad school in sociology.
- [00:01:48.111](crowd talking)
- [00:01:49.813](cheerful guitar music)
- [00:01:55.200]I'm going to be a behavioral health therapist,
- [00:01:57.620]and so right now I'm interviewing and applying for jobs.
- [00:02:00.590]Go Big Red!
- [00:02:01.700]I feel super proud and honored to be a Husker
- [00:02:03.970]and to have received my degree.
- [00:02:04.930]So I'm excited to have this degree under my belt,
- [00:02:08.394]and I'm super excited to start this next chapter in my life.
- [00:02:11.130]Go Big Red!
- [00:02:15.911](cheerful music)
Log in to post comments