The Ph.D. Experience at Nebraska College of Business
Ashley Erceg shares her experience as a Ph.D. student at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln College of Business.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.416](upbeat music)
- [00:00:05.580]The reason why I chose to do the Ph.D. program here
- [00:00:08.250]at the university is because of an undergraduate experience.
- [00:00:12.100]I did research with a mentor and realized
- [00:00:15.370]I absolutely loved every aspect of it.
- [00:00:17.800]Something that was super important to me
- [00:00:19.620]was being able to find faculty
- [00:00:21.297]that I actually wanted to do research with,
- [00:00:23.930]and having a class size or a cohort size that was manageable
- [00:00:28.620]so that I would feel very connected with the staff
- [00:00:31.990]and the faculty here.
- [00:00:33.600]So I was able to discuss what kind of research
- [00:00:35.820]I wanted to do with my mentor,
- [00:00:37.510]and we just sort of started from there.
- [00:00:43.110]I'm currently a second-year, so I'm just getting into
- [00:00:45.860]doing my own research and work on topics that I myself
- [00:00:49.102]have come up with and topics that I'm interested in.
- [00:00:54.830]With the Ph.D. program here at the university,
- [00:00:57.860]there are really, I would say, two main goals.
- [00:01:00.430]The first is to give you really comprehensive
- [00:01:02.950]research experience, and I would say
- [00:01:04.500]that's definitely goal number one.
- [00:01:06.470]They want you to work with your professors
- [00:01:09.140]to really develop your own ideas.
- [00:01:11.530]And the second goal at this university,
- [00:01:13.780]I would say, is teaching.
- [00:01:15.200]Unlike a lot of programs, in this program
- [00:01:17.730]you're given your own class, which means that
- [00:01:19.830]you're really in control of the content, and you teach,
- [00:01:21.840]which is really an invaluable experience
- [00:01:23.780]if you plan on pursuing academia.
Log in to post comments