From Prairie University to the Big Ten
A look at the 150-year history of the University of Nebraska. This video was part of the N|150 Charter Day Celebration: Music and Milestones, February 15, 2019 at the Lied Center for Performing Arts.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.675](birds chirping)
- [00:00:02.259](gentle instrumental)
- [00:00:11.480]The pioneer spirit.
- [00:00:21.270]Even before Nebraska was a state,
- [00:00:23.840]we were investing in the future.
- [00:00:28.580]Carving out a better life through sweat and sacrifice.
- [00:00:33.290]With the passage of the Morrill Act of 1862,
- [00:00:36.930]public land was donated to each state
- [00:00:39.400]for higher education.
- [00:00:41.600]On February 15, 1869, the Nebraska legislature
- [00:00:46.350]took action.
- [00:00:48.090]Lawmakers mandated the state university
- [00:00:50.920]and agriculture college be established
- [00:00:53.330]in the capital city of Lincoln.
- [00:00:55.950]The university's doors opened in fall 1871
- [00:01:00.240]with 130 freshmen.
- [00:01:03.190]The first chancellor, Allen R. Benton,
- [00:01:05.830]planned the original four block campus layout
- [00:01:08.850]and purchased the land now known as East Campus.
- [00:01:13.020]He also created the university seal.
- [00:01:17.070]Over the next century and a half,
- [00:01:19.320]20 men would serve as chancellor,
- [00:01:21.820]leaving their mark and sometimes their name
- [00:01:24.474]on the growing university.
- [00:01:27.119](peaceful instrumental)
- [00:01:33.130]Our founders could not have imagined
- [00:01:35.440]the changes to the university that we know today.
- [00:01:42.000]Facilities in all 93 counties.
- [00:01:50.510]26,000 students.
- [00:01:53.840]5,000 employees.
- [00:01:56.720]And expanded mission of education, outreach, and research.
- [00:02:01.750]And the occasional national championship.
- [00:02:05.973]That's number five!
- [00:02:06.830]Nebraska wins its fifth national championship!
- [00:02:10.427]Our accomplishments are countless.
- [00:02:13.890]Research and innovation to feed the world.
- [00:02:18.290]Leading the nation in digital research
- [00:02:20.530]in the humanities,
- [00:02:22.380]exploring ways to treat and prevent concussions,
- [00:02:26.620]preparing generations of children to succeed.
- [00:02:31.230]Leaders in every field.
- [00:02:35.135]Thousands of graduates from every county,
- [00:02:39.000]every state, every country.
- [00:02:42.119]Go big red!
- [00:02:45.601]Go big red!
- [00:02:48.140]And at our core, that same pioneer optimism
- [00:02:52.100]and promise burns just as brightly today
- [00:02:55.100]as it did 150 years ago.
- [00:02:59.590]The grit of many for the glory of all.
Log in to post comments