Education Abroad: Jessica
Jessica Van Buskirk studied and volunteered in Indonesia. https://educationabroad.unl.edu/education-abroad-homepage
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.400]I was in Indonesia.
- [00:00:01.500]I was there for about six weeks,
- [00:00:03.400]and I studied community nature conservation.
- [00:00:05.719]I worked with an organization that works towards
- [00:00:09.490]maintaining and preserving forested areas,
- [00:00:13.360]and they also do community outreach,
- [00:00:14.890]so they do things like teaching English,
- [00:00:16.930]and I was able to volunteer and teach an English class.
- [00:00:20.210]I believe that it's really important to go out in the field.
- [00:00:22.760]You can learn from a textbook, but when you actually
- [00:00:25.350]get your feet like, on the soil,
- [00:00:27.797]like, and looking at the forest you really
- [00:00:30.210]get an idea of like, what's going on in the world.
- [00:00:32.510]It was just kind of, like, a realization
- [00:00:35.470]that I'm helping the planet and that what I am doing
- [00:00:38.080]is really making a difference.
- [00:00:39.870]I was very, very fortunate.
- [00:00:41.690]I was able to get my entire study abroad trip
- [00:00:44.070]paid for through scholarships.
- [00:00:46.200]I'm planning on going to graduate school
- [00:00:47.930]for student affairs, so this study abroad trip,
- [00:00:50.906]kind of gave me the tools to communicate with people
- [00:00:54.910]that I may not be super comfortable communicating with.
- [00:00:57.920]Having that experience, talking to people who are different
- [00:01:00.760]from myself will help me in the future because
- [00:01:02.970]I want to work with students, I want
- [00:01:04.640]to be an advisor, or a professor eventually.
- [00:01:08.450]So, you know, just talking to a bunch of different people
- [00:01:12.100]and getting hands on experience in another country
- [00:01:14.150]is just out of this world.
- [00:01:16.299](drumbeat and cymbal clash)
Log in to post comments