History | CAS Majors Fair
Associate professor of practice Ann Tschetter talks about the history major.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.180](light base music begins)
- [00:00:07.650]Hi, I'm Ann Tschetter.
- [00:00:09.140]I am the history advisor
- [00:00:11.010]in the college of arts and sciences.
- [00:00:13.170]I think history is just a great bass major.
- [00:00:15.990]So it's a major that,
- [00:00:17.537]depending on what you're interested in,
- [00:00:19.360]law, education, political science.
- [00:00:24.860]You name it, criminal reform, anything like that,
- [00:00:27.940]it's just a major that can really help you along the way.
- [00:00:31.810]We do, we certainly specialize a lot in writing.
- [00:00:36.040]And also critical thinking skills.
- [00:00:38.620]And then you get to do a lots of,
- [00:00:41.180]of reading and writing and thinking as the history major.
- [00:00:45.328]I've got students that have
- [00:00:48.730]worked in the state department.
- [00:00:50.610]Students that are working in the FBI.
- [00:00:52.980]Students that are also working as
- [00:00:57.780]police people
- [00:00:59.270]and some of them are on the Lincoln force,
- [00:01:01.270]but also in Omaha.
- [00:01:02.970]Several students have gone on to be officers
- [00:01:05.460]in the military.
- [00:01:07.897]I have students in business.
- [00:01:10.610]Students working at the Capitol,
- [00:01:12.366]just a lot of different opportunities.
- [00:01:16.320]So it's a major where I really work with you one on one
- [00:01:19.370]to figure out how you're thinking about using history.
- [00:01:22.564]What are some, what are your plans?
- [00:01:25.257]What can we do to really help you be successful?
- [00:01:29.900]Not only as a student,
- [00:01:32.092]but navigating
- [00:01:33.760]after you graduate from UNL.
- [00:01:38.670]We've got some really fun courses.
- [00:01:40.820]Courses that specialize in world war II.
- [00:01:44.340]Courses that specialize in the American military.
- [00:01:47.360]We have, for those of you who love the ancient world,
- [00:01:50.070]we have great courses on
- [00:01:53.260]Greece and Rome that are incredibly popular.
- [00:01:57.700]Plus some courses that I really think a lot of that
- [00:02:00.340]that help you sort of figure out where we are today.
- [00:02:03.390]Courses on civil rights.
- [00:02:05.500]Courses on different experiences for
- [00:02:09.950]minority populations.
- [00:02:11.970]So history helps you know where
- [00:02:15.813]we've been, and can help you kind of figure out
- [00:02:18.860]where we might be going.
- [00:02:20.780]Which I think is incredibly useful
- [00:02:23.242]as we look at the world around us today.
- [00:02:27.700]I hope that helps.
- [00:02:29.410]I hope for, you know let me know if you have questions
- [00:02:31.610]and I look forward to working with you.
- [00:02:33.643](upbeat music continues)
Log in to post comments