Classics and Religious Studies | CAS Majors Fair
Academic advisor Sara Feit talks about the classics and religious studies major.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.303](upbeat music)
- [00:00:08.393]my name is Sara Feit and I'm the academic advisor
- [00:00:11.140]for classics and religious studies.
- [00:00:13.250]Come explore civilizations, religions,
- [00:00:15.680]and cultures of the ancient world,
- [00:00:17.740]as well as ancient and modern religions
- [00:00:19.730]with the major in CLRS.
- [00:00:22.380]You'll start by taking four courses
- [00:00:24.270]from eight different options,
- [00:00:25.720]including Spectacle and Entertainment in the Roman World,
- [00:00:29.210]Classical Mythology, the World of Classical Greece and Rome,
- [00:00:32.920]World Religions, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
- [00:00:36.620]In your senior year, you'll also take a research seminar.
- [00:00:40.700]Students with this major have the option of
- [00:00:42.730]focusing their studies in one of three areas,
- [00:00:45.510]Classics, Classical Languages or Religious Studies.
- [00:00:49.920]You'll select courses within your options,
- [00:00:52.010]such as Pagans, Christians and the Roman Empire,
- [00:00:55.150]Classical Antiquity and Popular Culture,
- [00:00:57.770]Latin Poetry, Religion and Politics in America
- [00:01:01.310]and Buddhist Meditation.
- [00:01:03.380]There are lots of ways to bring your major
- [00:01:05.370]out of the classroom and into life.
- [00:01:07.820]Join the Classics Club and participate in
- [00:01:09.960]the annual Homerathon,
- [00:01:11.660]a marathon reading of the Homeric poem.
- [00:01:14.400]Broaden your worldview and learn about
- [00:01:16.155]the archeology, philosophy and life of
- [00:01:18.790]Ancient Greeks through the Study Abroad Experience.
- [00:01:21.867]You could decide to add a minor in digital humanities
- [00:01:24.920]and conduct an internship with UNL Special Collections.
- [00:01:28.350]If your focus is on religious studies,
- [00:01:30.570]connect and engage in leadership opportunities
- [00:01:32.920]with campus faith organizations.
- [00:01:35.660]A wide range of career opportunities are available
- [00:01:38.350]with the CLRS major.
- [00:01:40.270]You'll gain experience analyzing and interpreting texts,
- [00:01:43.730]you'll use your voice to defend and discuss
- [00:01:45.980]complex issues from multiple angles
- [00:01:48.740]and listen actively to better facilitate
- [00:01:50.910]individual and group communication.
- [00:01:53.370]Past majors have gone on to seminary school,
- [00:01:56.250]Taught in the K-12 school system,
- [00:01:59.000]attended graduate school for classics research
- [00:02:01.640]and pursued law school.
- [00:02:03.380]Please reach out if you'd like to learn more.
- [00:02:05.560](upbeat music)
Log in to post comments